PDA

View Full Version : Customized CD - problems with USB & PS/2 mouse



semolina
10-04-2004, 05:57 PM
hi,

I'm currently customizing KNOPPIX for a university projekt and I've got a huge problem which I can't solve on my own nor with the help of my professors.

I installed knoppix on my HD and made a CD out of it, everything worked fine.

the problem is that when I install knoppix with a usb mouse, the CD will only support usb mice, and when I install it with a ps/2, it works the other way round.
as the cd will somehow be used for promiting my universtiy, it should of course work with USB AND PS/2 mice.
when booting from an original knoppix cd, i think that the XF68config and XF86config-4 files are created newly at every boot, depending of the type of mice,... so the entries are of course different for a usb and ps/2. can anyone tell me which file... is responsible for this creation?
the problem is that my customized cd doesn't create these files newly at every boot, it just uses the files created when installing knoppix to my disk.

so I think that the problem lies in my XF68config and XF86config-4 files, I think.
I'll post the entries concering mice here, so if anyone can help me, I'd be very glad

when booting with a ps2 mouse
XF86config
Section "Pointer"
Protocol "PS/2"
Device "/dev/mouse"
Emulate3Buttons
Emulate3Timeout 70
EndSection

XF86config-4
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
# Serial Mouse not detected
# USB Mouse not detected
EndSection

when booting with a usb mouse
XF86config
Section "Pointer"
Protocol "IMPS/2"
Device "/dev/mouse"
Emulate3Buttons
Emulate3Timeout 70
EndSection

XF86config-4
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# PS/2 Mouse not detected
# Serial Mouse not detected
InputDevice "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
EndSection

I think that the symbolic link from mouse - to /dev/psaux ... /dev/input/mice is set correctly, if that helps...

Thx a lot!

[/i]

ying-yang7
10-04-2004, 11:31 PM
You can try to configure XF86Config with

xf86cfg

Good Luck

semolina
10-05-2004, 06:27 PM
unfortunately using xf86cfg doesn't help.
do you know which process/file is responsible for the dynamic creation of xf86config and xf86config-4 at runtime when booting from a knoppix cd?
cos this dynamic creation doesn't work at my system, I think.
please help, again :)

UnderScore
10-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Please excuse my remarks. I do not in any way want to insult you or offend you. It sounds like your remaster filesystem is broken in some way. Perhaps you and your professors are more advanced than myself. Perhaps I do not know what I am talking about and should be more knowledgable on this topic. I have used my method of remastering over the last month and have created over 30 custom knoppix CDs on 4 different PCs. Most of those CDs were purely experimental in that I was learning how to best make knoppix fit my needs. I have never had to edit the XF86Config files. I have tested those CDs in over 9 different PCs and have never run into the USB/PS2 mouse problem.

I use the scripts that Fabian Franz wrote which really simplify the remastering process. My thanks goes out to him and Klaus Knopper for making a fabulous way of customizing knoppix. You can read about my method here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867
I hope this helps.
James

semolina
10-06-2004, 09:28 AM
thx for the link but I can't install knoppix this way cos I have to modify the whole system (start menu, graphics... boot stuff) and therefor the script isn't complex enough.
any other ideas?

adis
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm also having problems with psmouse (on remastered Knoppix 3.7)

i.e. ps-mouse doesn't work with 2.4.27 kernel, but works when CD is booted using 2.6 kernel.
(Knoppix was installed on disk using 2.6 kernel!)