PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX CD with 2 sessions



emanresu
10-28-2004, 07:35 AM
what about a multi-session CD, means:
reduce the common KNOPPIX-ISO, so that there is space (how much?) to burn a little second session, which should be considered in the startup-scripts

advantage:
no need of (boring :cry: ) remastering in a lot of cases, simply burn your stuff into the second session


never tried this, just an idea ... :oops:

paradocs
11-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi emanresu

Your idea to make it easy to add settings to a KNOPPIX
version without re-mastering is interesting.

I have not tried to go
from CD to CD since there is so little room.
Let me know if you succeed.

What I have done is to easly clone a KNOPPIX or KANOTIX
CD to a DVD. You do need a DVD burner as a second
drive. http://grow-knoppix.berlios.de/
Best Wishes
paradocs

Harry Kuhman
11-06-2004, 08:47 AM
what about a multi-session CD, means:
reduce the common KNOPPIX-ISO, so that there is space (how much?) to burn a little second session, which should be considered in the startup-scripts
I really like this idea. While no one will every be satisfied with the amount of space that they get, even a litle bit would seem to be enough to hold some custom information. And maybe if some of the redundant larger applications were removed, there would be a lot of space, and there might even be enough space for someone who really wanted some of the removed ones to put them back on the second session. Exactly how they do that I don't know, but it seems like it should work. Consider though that the first session contains the files in a compressed form that might have to be used in the second if space is an issue.

probono
11-17-2004, 02:12 AM
The closest that comes to this idea seems to be CD-Persistant for Morphix, http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/CD-Persistant

"This mini-module saves user files, setting and configurations to another mini-module. When the generated mini-module(s) are loaded it will auto-magically restore these files. The mini-module can be used in conjunction with a Morphix CD burnt as a multi-session CD, to save your user files, setting and configuration to the same CD"

Harry Kuhman
11-17-2004, 02:37 AM
I've asked this in another thread too, but will repeat it here for anyone who reads this and not the other:

I think it's a great idea, but I have another question. Will it work? Here's why I ask: I made a bootable Damn Small Linux CD and kept the CD open for a second session. I booted it, and used the CD writed in DSL to write some files to the CD as a second session. This all worked and the files were on the CD, along with the original DSL files. But the CD was no longer bootable. Apparently something in writing the second session changed the disc enough to affect how it boot. Does anyone know a way to write to the second session and still keep the disc bootable (and why it wasn't bootable in the above case)?