View Full Version : Remaster knoppix based
ix86i
11-11-2004, 12:10 AM
I'd like to remaster "dsl" and so i have download the knoppix remaster utilities but, when i type ./knoppix-remaster, appear this message:
The script needs a place where it can store the remaster. In the next screen you'll be able to choose that.
but there is NOT other screens!!
in shell appear this:
--stdout: unknown option
but I don't know what is it...
when i boot with Knoppix 3.6 and i make this, there are no problem and i can choose the store to remaster and go with other options
thank you in advance! :wink:
mzilikazi
11-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Well the knoppix remastering scripts were made to remaster Knoppix not DSL. It is no suprise that they do not work. Perhaps they may if you make some modifications. How is DSL built? I have never booted a DSL disc so I could not even begin to venture a guess as to what's different between Knoppix & DSL.
ix86i
11-11-2004, 01:35 PM
"Originally DSL was based on model_k, which did an excellent distillation of Knoppix down to 33 megabytes. But more recent versions are a reduction from Knoppix proper.
As many know Knoppix is based on Debian which really made my task a lot easier, but the applications on the CD are not pure Debian. "
so, is not possible, I think :roll:
there are other distro knoppix based compatible with knoppox-remaster?
thanks
UnderScore
11-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I tried the following with DSL 0.8.4 2004-11-10. The remastering scripts are successful on Knoppix because they were written to use the program known as dialog which is obviously included on Knoppix. If you run the scripts in DSL, the scripts use dialog, which is really a symbolic link to /usr/bin/whiptail and this whiptail program does not seem to be a full implementation of dialog. Thus the script appears to work and then fails.
I tried to get dialog to work by downloading a official Debian .deb file for dialog. I extracted out the data.tar.gz file and ran dialog. It complained that it could not find a shared library. I gather this means that the Debian package is not a static binary. To solve this problem I would have to compile a static binary of dialog while in Knoppix, save it to my hard drive and then boot into DSL and see if it works. I won't be doing all that since I feel DSL is too customized to be remastered with Fabian's scripts without major hacks & modifications. In particular some of the scripts refer to apt-get which is not on DSL.
I hope this helps.
James
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.