View Full Version : need MIDI howto
redss
11-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Since knoppix comes with rosegarden installed, it would be great if there was a HOWTO on getting the midi ports recognized in order to utilize rosegarden. I'm still trying unsucessfully at that...
Fabianx
11-26-2004, 04:57 PM
This not necessarily is an idea.
Take a look at agnula.org. They do have such tutorials.
cu
Fabian
redss
12-26-2004, 12:34 PM
hmmmm... since agnula has a harddisk based version of Debian and that distro utilizes alsa libraries not included in knoppix, that site has not been me of much use to me. I assume that knoppix should be able to utilize OSS drivers to run rosegarden2 which is included on the CD, but I don't know what trick is required to get it working...
bfree
12-27-2004, 05:20 AM
alsa libraries not included in knoppix
You can use the alsa sound drivers on Knoppix by booting with the cheatcode alsa e.g. entering "knoppix2.6 alsa" at the boot prompt!
redss
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
To the best of my knowledge Knoppix does not contain all the ALSA libraries on the liveCD that are necessary to configure and detect the midi ports.
Rosegarden2 (which uses OSS, the default for knoppix) uses OSS not ALSA, and requires MIDI to be of much use.
So if I can figure out how to get the midi ports configured on a knoppix liveCD I will contribute a midi howto for this site.
w0lfie
01-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm reading http://www.midi-howto.com/ right now. I'll let you know how it goes!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.