PDA

View Full Version : Three compression Live CD(cloop,cramfs, zisofs)



lilsirecho
01-30-2005, 07:28 PM
The Knoppix LiveCD provides a cloop format for its compression of the program material.

In addition, a second compression format ...cramfs... can be utilized if Klik is introduced after install of the LiveCD.

Perhaps a third compression could also be applied after boot-up...for what purpose I have no idea....just thought it might be interesting to think about.

Perhaps 3D encoded on two compression formats.

Maybe ...cramfs0...cramfs1...cramfs(x).

Edit: Actually, cloop, cramfs and zisofs provide three compression LiveCD (or desktop, too)

sunburnt
03-21-2005, 06:25 AM
I don't know if you've ever tried pkzipping a file several times,
pkware says you can zip a file up to 7 times I think.
Anyway, the file doesn't hardly get any smaller at all,
anotherwords, there's no point in doing it.
It's possable some combination might make a smaller file, but
the PC would probably run slower, especially an older PC.
If you want smaller files just use a higher compression setting.

lilsirecho
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Sunburnt;

The compression applied to the elements of the CD are all separate compression methods and independent of each other.

By that, the whole CD is not recompressed several times. The three methods allow what might be termed sub-compressed files in addition to the files generated by the Knoppix Live CD.

It isn't re-compression but multi-compression applied to a cloop-compressed Live CD...appended so to speak with alternate-method compressed files.

I hope this clears up any mis-communication on the issue.