PDA

View Full Version : USB drive not mounting in Kiosk mode



csanburn
03-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I've used the O'Reilly "Knoppix Hacks" book to setup a Knoppix CD that boots to kiosk mode with the exception that instead of running mozilla I'm running Lotus Notes via Wine.
Also, I've configured Wine to use my USB drive as it's windows directory so that I can easily modify my Notes install without remastering knoppix boot CDs.
When I boot to KDE instead of Kiosk mode I can manually start everything up just fine, but when I let the CD boot up and try to start in kiosk mode and auto launch Lotus Notes it fails because /mnt/sda1 isn't mounted. If I use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and use:
mount /mnt/sda1
and then do:
init 2 && init 5
Everything works fine.
Is the Kiosk mode running something like Windows "Safe-Mode", where not everything is started at boot up like normal?

greenfly
03-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Is the Kiosk mode running something like Windows "Safe-Mode", where not everything is started at boot up like normal?

Everything is started at boot time in Knoppix, kiosk mode or not. But, no hard drives on the system are automatically mounted at boot no matter what mode you might be in (unless you somehow set up a script to mount them for you). What you are seeing when you are in KDE is that when you click on the hard drive icon, the contents pop up, but what you don't see is that Knoppix mounted the filesystem behind the scenes when you clicked on that icon (it wasn't mounted previously).

You could potentially add that snippet of code that mounts the usb drive for you somewhere in your startup script.