PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix to create my own system?



Ryan450
03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
hey gang,

ever since I discovered linux I've always wanted to learn more about it constantly. I've only really started to customize my system now and keep learning more about it each day.. and now that I finally got cedega to start running most of my games under the linux kernel, I've been thinking of creating my own linux system purely from source code.

I've played around with knoppix and pretty much use it as a boot cd in case my system fails. so far all I've been using knoppix for is to pretty much bring linux with me to my friends houses, and to repartition my drives. but I never did get knoppix to write to a linux partition before... it would always give me an error message and it would never save anything to the hard drives if i booted from the cd.

would it be possible to use knoppix to let me build my entire linux system from pure source code? grab the kernel sources compile and place them onto a drive of my choosing and all that good and happy stuff? I know the entire idea is very advanced and difficult. but this would just be a project designed to do one thing. Teach me more about linux and how it works. I think that would do me very well, and the promise of using the knowledge that I gain from this to make myself one hell of a fast gaming machine is very very appealing.

UnderScore
03-08-2005, 01:01 AM
would it be possible to use knoppix to let me build my entire linux system from pure source code? grab the kernel sources compile and place them onto a drive of my choosing and all that good and happy stuff? I know the entire idea is very advanced and difficult. but this would just be a project designed to do one thing. Teach me more about linux and how it works.

Building an entire Knoppix system is certainly possible, but is overkill as the Debian binaries that current Knoppix is based off of is good enough. Many of the remasters and customizations require no compiling and if they do, it is usually only the kernel itself. See the Documentation for a link on how to make your own customized Knoppix without having to recompile everything. I also wrote a HOWTO that I feel is easier than the offical Documentation method http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867

If you really have your heart set on recompiling everything from source, then you should probably see these links:
Using Debian From Scratch http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/
Installing Debian From Scratch http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/10/1727246
What is Linux From Scratch? http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/whatislfs.html
I hope this helps.
James

Ryan450
03-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Sweet, thank you very much :).. it will take me a little while to read through all that but will gladly do.. I do realize that compiling EVERYTHING is overkill, but as I said I'm looking for a project that would be teaching me how linux works inside and out.. I dont think you can get much more famalair with it then building the entire thing from scratch..