PDA

View Full Version : The strip of bacon on my veggie burger



Zerro
03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
acroread!

I know I can uninstall the unfree packages myself but it strikes me a
little like a vegetarian picking bacon bits out of a salad.

I'd like it if excluding the unfree packages was an option during HD
install. I'd like even better an alternative iso with free software
only for those of us whom this sort of thing matters (I imagine it
would be trivially easy for the knoppix people to just exclude those
packages but hard for anyone else to do.)

But making another whole iso probably isn't worth it because knoppix
is _so close_ already. I don't know how important the 9 unfree
packages are but the biggest offender is acroread and I know there are
free alternatives to that. I know because they're already on the
disk!

And a small feature request: vrms. So I can tell how clean future
disks are before I install.

UnderScore
03-11-2005, 03:45 PM
I believe this has already been done. See http://marc.free.net.ph/message/20050309.094348.474d5117.en.html for more details on a non-Free removed Knoppix.
I hope this helps.
James

Harry Kuhman
03-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Perhaps with version 3.8's reported ability to change and save Knoppix easily, someone will make a handy menu of things that can be installed into Knoppix and resaved (or maybe the klik website will be that menu). I think there will long need to be a "standard" 700 meg version of Knoppix full of applicatios. But maybe some version of 3.9 could come with minimal applications and a menu built in or beter yet link to a website that lets you add whatever types of tools you want before resaving everything.