View Full Version : kernel change + knoppix 3.8
harrisTL
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I need to update the kernel that comes with the 3.8 version to a kernel that uses the /dev/sda system for USB devices. I need to take out the USB_MASS_STORAGE from the kernel. Now i made a new kernel and new modules using kernel 2.6.11.6. The question becomes where do i change the kernel, in the boot,off the cd, or in the image( source/Knoppix chroot). I tried mixing and matching, but when i make a new image i get a cloop error "insmod cloop.o -1 module failure" something liek that and i have no idea how to fix it, all of this to change one flag in the config, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
arkaine23
04-07-2005, 07:38 PM
AFAIK, changing the kernel requires-
1) recompiling
2) reapplying patches
3) new moduiles copied in minitroot.gz (espcially cloop)
While you're at it, you might want to switch from cloop to squashfs. The cloop module only works with the kernel it was built with, thus requiring replacing the module in miniroot.gz. Going to squash would also require editing initrd in miniroot.
harrisTL
04-07-2005, 07:52 PM
i have recompiled the kernel, and i guess the issue is how to change the minirt.gz to get my kernel working? and are there any patches for 2.6.11.6? where woudl i acquire those, im sorry i am new to this but i need it done.......thanks in advance
arkaine23
04-08-2005, 01:39 AM
The knoppix kernel patch is in /usr/src. There are other packages for wireless drivers and unionfs modules that have been installed thru apt... I'm not sure if those'd need to be redone....
ocschwar
05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
I've posted a reply to your question in another thread: See here. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18827)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.