PDA

View Full Version : MySQL on Knoppix 3.7 Remaster



ilovelinux98
04-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Well, I recently started a remaster of Knoppix 3.7 (I was worried about the complexities of UnionFS and already had a copy of 3.7 at hand). I decided to install a LAMP system on it to run a PHP/MySQL application. The entire system worked well from a chroot environment off the 3.7 CD, so I compressed it to a shocking size of 609MB!!! Anyways, I used my 3.7 CD with the bootfrom= option to boot my system! It worked great! (One of my additions was Firefox, which I understand comes with 3.8...) Anyways, Apache/PHP is working great, but MySQL is not behaving. If I start it with "/etc/init.d/mysql start", it tells me that:

Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
Please take a look at the syslog.

So I check the syslog:

knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ sudo cat /var/log/syslog
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$

So I'm thinking, okay, I'll just start it directly...it should work, right? I was wrong:

050423 22:39:05 InnoDB: Operating system error number 30 in a file operation.
InnoDB: See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/InnoDB.html
InnoDB: for installation help.
InnoDB: Error number 30 means 'Read-only file system'.
InnoDB: Some operating system error numbers are described at
InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Operating_System_error_codes.html
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'open'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.

At this point, I'm getting irritated. So I perform an ls -l of /var/lib/mysql, where it is trying to write ibdata1:

total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 Apr 23 18:22 ib_arch_log_0000000000 -> /KNOPPIX/var/lib/mysql/ib_arch_log_0000000000
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Apr 23 18:22 ib_logfile0 -> /KNOPPIX/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Apr 23 18:22 ib_logfile1 -> /KNOPPIX/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Apr 23 18:22 ibdata1 -> /KNOPPIX/var/lib/mysql/ibdata1
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql 40 Apr 22 20:33 {PRIVATE DATABASE NAME REMOVED}
drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql mysql 460 Apr 22 20:32 mysql
drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql mysql 40 Aug 16 2001 test

So I think, aha, that's the problem, it's pointing at /KNOPPIX, which is readonly. My question is: why? Is this necessary? Can I just remove the symlink? Will everything then be hunky-dory? Do I have to copy a file? Any help here?

Thanks in advance!

markpreston
04-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Take a look at this thread.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17570&highlight=

Hopefully it will give you some ideas.
Regards,
Mark

justahandle
04-25-2005, 08:27 AM
And this thread. Same exact problem, solution was editing the 'minirt' file and copying the innodb tablespace and log files to the ramdisk when initialized.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18393