PDA

View Full Version : Add persistent home directory flexibility



JeffBonn
04-24-2005, 12:09 AM
In the next version of Knoppix, please consider making the persistent home directory able to work from a regular partition instead of just a knoppix.img loopback file. Today, 3.8.1 only lets me have a persistent home directory if I format my flash memory drive to ext3, and only if I use the entire drive for the persistent home directory.

Please remove the confirmation menu that tries to talk the user out of using the /home directory that he specified at bootup.

Please define how a Knoppix 3.7 user can convert an existing persistent home directory into one that will work under the new Knoppix. I copied the files from my old home to the mounted /knoppix.img, but that doesn't work.

Please define how to configure grub on a flash memory drive or diskette to obviate the entry of cheat codes. Or make it easy to remaster a CD to the extent that the user can set default cheat codes.

Please write a FAQ that defines how to configure a large flash memory drive to get a quick boot and a good environment through the use of home=, fromhd=, and grub. Theoretically, one could have a Knoppix that would not need a CD to boot, which would let the user keep /home files on flash memory, and which would not require cheat codes.

sunburnt
04-26-2005, 02:08 AM
I found the no Home dir. thing rather short sighted also.

paradocs
04-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi JeffBonn,

I hate having to hang around when my computer is booting. I push the power,
head for the refrigerator, and expect it to be running as I like when I return.


Or make it easy to remaster a CD to the extent that the user can set default cheat codes.

http://grow-knoppix.berlios.de/
With grow-knoppix you can quickly make a clone knoppix/kanotix CD DVD with an edited
/isolinux/isolinux.cfg or /grub/menu.lst
A cheat code of the form: bootfrom=/dev/hda6/my.iso
can be useful.

You can also customize the iso file by editing it's boot settings with added cheat codes.

Best Wishes
paradocs