PDA

View Full Version : Tried squshfs instead of cloop and I run into problems.



marksalot
04-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey folks. I am doing a remaster and I want to replace the kernel. After alot of searches in the forum which provided me with major help I came upon a hurdle.
I used squash because I am under the assumption that you can use several kernel versions,
instead of being locked in with one particular kernel version like you are with cloop.

I am using isolinux by the way that came with knoppix 3.4
Let me show you all of my steps to replace the kernel.

Downloaded the latest kernel version squashfs supports 2.6.9 and untared it
downloaded squashfs2.1 and untared it.
here are the rest of the commands.
I do all of the fallowing before I rebuild minirt26.gz.


cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.9
patch -p1 < /usr/src/squashfs2.1/linux-2.6.9/squashfs2.1-patch
make menuconfig (and I enable the squashfs tools)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=1 --append-to-version="-squashfs" kernel_image
cd ../
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.9-squashfs_1_i386.deb

The installation of the .deb package starts but after few seconds it comes back with this error

"Could not open /etc/fstab: No such file or directory at /var/lib/dpkg/info/kernel-image-2.6.9-squashfs.postinst line 1086."

What am I doing wrong?


:oops: :? :cry:

ying-yang7
05-02-2005, 01:25 PM
it says you, that in the remaster copy where you are trying to install the new kernel you don't have the /etc/fstab file.

You can copy your /etc/fstab into the remastered copy.

cp /etc/fstab /place/where/you/have/source/etc

Good Luck

marksalot
05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
it says you, that in the remaster copy where you are trying to install the new kernel you don't have the /etc/fstab file.

You can copy your /etc/fstab into the remastered copy.

cp /etc/fstab /place/where/you/have/source/etc

Good Luck

Thank you. It worked :D