PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Final Guide for CD remastering. Inside KDE!



fulvioo
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM
This is a mix of tips and how-tos I gathered during the last weeks. Since there are too many tutorials, and some of them are old or incorrect I wanna make an easy and oriented one for anyone starting or for the guys with doubts remastering from CD.
I tried with knoppix, whoppix, miniknoppix, feather and some other knoppix based distros I can't remember.

Enjoy it.


1) First I created the partitions: hda1 with 1gb for SWAP, and hda2 with ~6gb for ext3.

2) Then I booted the live cd knoppix/feather/miniknoppix/<put your knoppix based distro name here>

3) Become root
sudo su

4) Mounting partition
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

5) Creating folders
mkdir /mnt/hda2/source
mkdir /mnt/hda2/source/KNOPPIX
mkdir /mnt/hda2/master
mkdir /mnt/hda2/master/KNOPPIX
mkdir /mnt/hda2/master/boot
mkdir /mnt/hda2/master/boot/isolinux

6) Copying files
cp –a /KNOPPIX/* /mnt/hda2/source/KNOPPIX
cp /cdrom/boot/isolinux/* /mnt/hda2/master/boot/isolinux
rm -f /mnt/hda2/source/KNOPPIX/etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/hda2/source/KNOPPIX/etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hda2/source/KNOPPIX/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

6.1) To Edit BOOT LOGO read the post from "je" at:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7


7) Working inside the copied files (chroot)
cd /mnt/hda2/source
chroot KNOPPIX
mount -t proc /proc proc

8) Setting up the configurations to customise the distro inside X ;)
cd /home
cp -R /etc/skel knoppix
chown -R knoppix.knoppix knoppix/
vi /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
Change the line:
allowed_users=console
to:
allowed_users=anybody

9) Now lets use the default user "knoppix" instead root to customize KDE
su knoppix
cd /home/knoppix
startx /usr/bin/startkde -- :1

10) Now change anything you want inside kde


11) Removing Stuff
apt-get update
apt-get remove --purge tetex-base
apt-get remove --purge kde-18n-**
apt-get remove --purge vim
apt-get remove --purge emacs21
apt-get remove --purge etc... and so on...
rm -rf /usr/src/*
rm -rf /usr/share/doc/*

12) To install stuff..
apt-get update
apt-get install packagename

13) Checking what we got installed. The next line will show in order what is installed and how big it is. We can remove them using: apt-get remove --purge packagename
dpkg-query -W —-showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package}\n' | sort -n

14) Removing orphan packages (will remove useless stuff)
deborphan | xargs apt-get -y —purge remove
deborphan --find-config | xargs dpkg --purge

14.1) Find out what is big by folders
du -cb / | sort -n

15) Restoring some options we changed before
vi /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
Change the line:
allowed_users=anybody
to:
allowed_users=console
rm -fr /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
vi /etc/resolv.conf
Change:
nameserver x.x.x.x
to:
#nameserver 127.0.0.1


16) Getting back to console
click on K (kde menu), LogOut, End Sesssion


17) Restoring skel (default user) folders, configs, files to be restored when the live cd is made
exit
cd /home
rm -rf /etc/skel
mv knoppix/ skel
mv skel /etc
chown -R root.root /etc/skel

18) Clear stuff and things we typed
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
rm -f /etc/skel/.bash_history
rm -f root/.bash_history


19) Done. Let's get out from chroot and come back to the live cd we booted.
umount /proc
CTRL+d


20) Lets create an image of what we have done
mkisofs –R /mnt/hda2/source/KNOPPIX | create_compressed_fs –b – 65536 > /mnt/hda2/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

21) And finally, let's create the .iso file
cd /mnt/hda2/master
mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "MyDistro" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o MyDistro.iso /mnt/hda2/master/


If you have anyother tips or errors/typos I did, please post it. Let's make a good guide that can be done for everyone and learn with the process.

carfield
05-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi, I think I following similar procedure, (it actually the guide at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster_From_Hd_Install_HowTo ) to remaster from HDD install. However, once I burn the CD and try to boot the machine, while KDE starting, it ask me to login as the user I've created and there are many permission deny message. Most are skipable except:

Could not start ksmserver. Check your installion.

You don't have this problem? And there is user Knoppix in the system already???

fulvioo
05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi, I think I following similar procedure, (it actually the guide at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster_From_Hd_Install_HowTo ) to remaster from HDD install. However, once I burn the CD and try to boot the machine, while KDE starting, it ask me to login as the user I've created and there are many permission deny message. Most are skipable except:

Could not start ksmserver. Check your installion.

You don't have this problem? And there is user Knoppix in the system already???

I never had this problem. Are you changing users passwords?
BTW, that wiki HOWTO is a remaster from the hdd, my howto is a remaster from cd.

cheers