PDA

View Full Version : remaster kernel--Kernel Panic: VFS......



Trace Green
05-16-2005, 10:50 AM
My Knoppix is using Kernel 2.4.**, I want to change it to 2.6.11
1. chroot to my Knoppix's Linux source code
2. modify /etc/apt/source.lst
3. apt-get update
4. apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.11**, apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.11** and ln -s kernel-source** linux in /usr/src
5. apt-get source cloop-utils
6. go to cloop's source code and compile cloop.
**** after make KERNEL=/usr/src/linux, it creates cloop.ko, i check its Makefile, when kernel is 2.6.* , cloop will create cloop.ko but not cloop.o
7. get boot.img and mount boot.img *** -t msdos -o loop
8. get miniroot.gz and uncompress it, then cp cloop.ko /miniroot/moudle/cloop.o
9. gzip -9 miniroot and cp miniroot.gz **/, also cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11 "boot.img's mouting directory"/vmlinuz
10 put boot.img back to the original place and rm .bash_history
11. mkisofs.
12 try the iso in Vmware, but the error message is :
vmlinuz.......
miniroot.gz......
Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel.
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 0000:00:07.1
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(254, 0)
I am using knoppix vga=normal. when i try noswp, also the result.
Anyone can help me ?
thx very much!!!

carlscab
05-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi!
I'm trying to compile the cloop-util for a 2.6.11 kernel but I get the following error:
compressed_loop.c: In function `clo_read_actor':
compressed_loop.c:205: error: structure has no member named `buf'
compressed_loop.c: In function `clo_read_from_file':
compressed_loop.c:231: error: structure has no member named `buf'

What version of cloop-utils do you have? What url's do you put in source.lst??

thx a lot!!

BillS
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
It looks like you are using a version less than 2.02. I found that error in 2.01-5 and such. Knopper said he thought the newer source was posted, but I don't know where that would be....


BillS