View Full Version : How can I set a root password????
oganika
05-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Hey I'm currently working on a remasterd knoppix cd.
All is going well but I cant set a root password if I do set passwd then it does nothing.
Can sombody help me.?????[/b]
mcreel
05-23-2005, 08:51 AM
When you're in the chroot environment, just type "passwd" and follow the instructions.
oganika
05-24-2005, 10:49 AM
this does not work?????
when I remaster I still don't have to give a password
mcreel
05-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I did it just the other day to set a root password for the parallelknoppix remaster. Can you describe what you're doing in more detail. I'm talking about remastering after having copied the source to HD, and doing a chroot from my normal Debian installation. I'm not familiar with the other methods.
oganika
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
I found a sollution. I just disable su and sudo. with a startup script so the users of my kiosk can no tgo in te root
but thanks for the effort mcreel
alternatix
08-29-2006, 12:23 AM
I have the same problem:
Whatever I do, I dont need a password to be root; I only need to type "su".
I tried:
chmod 0 su
but it blocks at start
or
I tried to disable knoppix in /etc/sudoers
but then some applications doesn't work because they need root.
I found a half-solution:
I modified /etc/profile. Icommented this line (the last one in the file):
#alias su="sudo su"
Now if I type "su", I need a password.
But if I type "sudo su", I don't need it anymore.
knoppu
11-26-2006, 07:12 PM
>> I tried to disable knoppix in /etc/sudoers
use that file to define what you want "knoppix" to have access to . (man sudo ;) )
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.