PDA

View Full Version : kde hanging with new user



dave123
06-30-2005, 04:35 PM
I've remastered Knoppix 3.9 to use xdm at boot and authenticate users via ldap. User home directories are mounted with autofs over nfs. Everything works fine if I start knoppix with desktop=icewm, but with kde I'm running into problems. When I try and start a program like konsole it will freeze just before the prompt is displayed. I also have the sshd running. When I try and login after konsole is locked, I'm able to put in my username and password, then it hangs. However, if I ssh in before the user logs into xdm, it works fine. Some programs continue to work fine though, like the konqueror browser. Everything works fine if I log in as the knoppix user, which I have given a password.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks.

stormspotter
06-30-2005, 06:09 PM
This sounds like it is having trouble mounting the home directories for the LDAP users. You will probably want to check your autofs config.

HTH,
Jacob

dave123
06-30-2005, 06:31 PM
I just changed the home directory to point to /tmp/username, and still the same problem. Also xterm and konsole work fine in IceWM.

Thanks.

stormspotter
07-01-2005, 01:44 AM
hmm... Sorry. I guess I don't know enough about KDE and LDAP then.

Jacob

dave123
07-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Turns out it was kmix that was causing things to hang. I removed /usr/bin/kmix and did a ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/kmix, now things work fine.