PDA

View Full Version : internal wifi card...connected, but can't browse internet??



bluemoon
07-14-2005, 04:10 AM
Hi guys, first off: I'm a newbie! Installed 3.9...running kwifimanager shows I'm connected to network, but when I open mozilla or konqueror and try to go to any site, it says www.whatever.com could not be found. :( ...I just wanna browse the net, arrrg! Please help!

paradigm_shift
07-15-2005, 05:13 AM
start dhcp client or static route.

jramsey
08-10-2005, 05:36 AM
I am running Knoppix 3.9 on a Dell CPi notebook with an RT2400-based cardbus card.

With coaxing I get "connected":

I run (with sudo su):

ifconfig eth0 up
iwconfig eth0 essid 'network-ssid'

I then run the KDE network card configuration, and tell it to use DHCP.

I then do ifconfig, and it shows an appropriate IP Address.

Strangely, I can't ping the dhcp server that the machine just connected to in order to get the IP address it has. Weird.

I also, of course, cannot connect to the internet. With Mandrake 10.1, I was able, so it's not a router setting.

Arrg.

Jonathan

jramsey
08-12-2005, 02:13 PM
I was able to get working, but I had to "open" my wifi a bit.

I noticed the other day that when I went to Saint Louis Bread Co, my laptop just connected using Knoppix 3.9, no problems. I could access the internet with no effort.

So, at home, I made a couple changes to the Access Point. I set the channel to 1, instead of 6; and I set it to broadcast the ssid, since this is how public APs work. I had already disabled WEP -- this is definitely part of the "public access point" methodology.

Eureka! Simply booting Knoppix 3.9, my laptop connected to the network with no coaxing.

Security Note:
Given that I had to disable WEP, I made sure that the MAC filter was set to allow only the card in my laptop. This now, is the only wifi security I have. WEP would be nice, but also not highly secure. WPA would be better, but I knew going in that it wasn't supported by all of my h/w-s/w.

You might try checking and enabling the SSID Broadcast on your Access Point. As far as channel 1 goes, I just did that because I noticed in iwconfig that it seemed to connect on channel 1, even though my AP was channel 6. I decided that, at some level, it wasn't negotiating the channel properly. Having connected successfully without checking each change on its own, makes it difficult to say if one or the other change was the most important.

Jonathan