PDA

View Full Version : Run a shell script after booting



mpweber77
07-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Greetings!

I am creating a text-mode (init level 3) Knoppix system and I want to execute a shell script automatically when the CD boots.

What I have tried is an init script, but since the shell script doesn't ever exit, the inits never finish. :cry:

I have added the line to the /root/.bash_profile but it doesn't seem to get executed. :?

I have put the line (and the script itself for that matter) in /etc/profile but that didn't work either. :(

What I need is a remote linux server that ANYone can run. Even people who still look for the any key. The next piece I need to conquer is getting the shell script to automatically run in tty1 without any user intervention.

Anyone done this yet?

The script I am trying to execute is pretty simple:


#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/sbin/info_screen


And that's it!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx!

-Michael

rwcitek
08-01-2005, 06:18 AM
I am creating a text-mode (init level 3) Knoppix system and I want to execute a shell script automatically when the CD boots. What I have tried is an init script, but since the shell script doesn't ever exit, the inits never finish.
Have you tried adding your script to /etc/inittab? For example, to have "/usr/bin/top" running on virtual console 1 in runlevel 3, remove this single line from /etc/inittab:

1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
and replace it with these two:

1:1245:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
1a:3:respawn:/usr/bin/top >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1

Replace your script for "/usr/bin/top" and it should work.

Let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/