PDA

View Full Version : Why is Knoppix so goddamn ugly.



JacksonBrown
07-28-2005, 03:18 AM
Is bad enough Knoppix uses KDE, but the new background in Knoppix 3.9 takes the cake in garbage:
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8031/lunixisshit2kv.jpg
Can we do something about this?

UnderScore
07-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Its not what you're saying thats wrong but how you say it. :)
There is nothing wrong with KDE itself but instead it is the choices that were made in regards to the GUI elements. I posted about the GUI problems here at the beginning of June. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19306

It looks like Knoppix 4.0 DVD edition has some visual improvements. See Knoppix 4.0 screenshots http://www.virtualacuity.com/james/knoppix-other/knop40/

JacksonBrown
07-28-2005, 03:49 AM
Okay, the background is good, but it's still KDE.

Also, why can't I unmount a drive when it's open in Konq? Gnome, Windows and OS X handles this nicely.

sakiZ
07-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Having recently run out of tweaks to my HD installation of v 3.7 , my only area left to conquer was the look.

I found that KDE is very configurable and even amazed my self at how elegant I have made my KDE GUI look. It looks way better than my W*ndows installation.

Even my wife, when she saw it exclaimed, "Wow, what is that?"

It took me all of a few minutes.

Try it.

sakiZ

chris-harry
08-12-2005, 04:08 AM
It looks way better than my W*ndows installation. yeah, it can be...

i like the ability to actually change the K menu buttons... thats fun... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU DO THAT TO THE START MENU WINDOWS!!!

sakiZ
08-15-2005, 12:51 AM
i like the ability to actually change the K menu buttons... thats fun... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU DO THAT TO THE START MENU WINDOWS!!!

Yeah, I've done that. I have the "start button changed to the nuts and bolts. The K sits inside it. I have all icons set to turn stop light green when the cursor is over them.

I have the Super User file Manager sitting right beside the start button. It sits in the same red-maroon color panel as the insets for the windows.

My theme is a slightly modified desert red selected from the many themes available. The inset on windows is a red-maroon. The rest of the menu bar is not black but charcoal grey. I have changed a lot of the other colors to fit into the desert red theme.

Plus lots of little menu eye candy tweaks too numerous to mention.

The desktop image is a photo I took of Red Rock Canyon in California to complete the desert theme.

It looks WAY WAY better than anything I've ever done in Windows.

If you can't make this desktop look terrific, you need to hire an interior decorator! :-)

sakiZ


[/quote]

reub2000
08-17-2005, 03:25 AM
I started using Knoppix with version 3.1. Very Cool. Then came Knoppix 3.2 with it's eye wallpaper. Very Cool Indeed. Why can't knoppix make something as cool as version 3.2?

Look at v 3.2:
http://members.lycos.nl/lindows/knoppix2.png

sakiZ
08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Love that desktop!

It's easy for me to forget that my setup is a full HD install, not the live CD.

I'm using KDE 3.3.2 now.

It was as easy as "apt-get install KDEbase"

sakiZ