PDA

View Full Version : Please get rid of ub support in knoppix kernel



d00m3d
08-10-2005, 09:09 PM
It looks to me there is no possible ways to boot Knoppix-3.9 without the ub support and resume the scsi emulation for USB unless re-compiling a custom kernel.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20322

The ub support is quite nasty and unstable. Data transmission rate is totally inferior to the original scsi emulation. In addition, /dev/uba cannot be recognized by the current release of GRUB which make the installation to USB HDD impossible from CD directly, despite it can be done through replication method and a custom kernel without ub.

May I suggest to get rid of the ub support from the kernel completely?

UnderScore
08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
They are aware of it & will probably remove it.
http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws/arc/debian-knoppix/2005-07/msg00009.html

Re: [debian-knoppix] /proc/partitions can't see ub Klaus Knopper

* From: Klaus Knopper <[email protected]>
* To: Jody <[email protected]>
* Cc: [email protected]
* Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] /proc/partitions can't see ub
* Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:37:12 +0200
* Organization: Knopper Networks
* References: <[email protected]>
* User-agent: Mutt/1.5.6+20040907i

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:34:22AM +0200, Jody wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Knoppix 3.8.2 2005-05-05 on Presario 2100 which has:
>
> 0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
>
> The "usb key" is seen by lsusb as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 08ec:0012 M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers
>
> When I plug this key, dmesg return only:
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
> uba: device 2 capacity nsec 0 bsize 512
>
[snip]
> At this time I can mount uba1 but file tranfert is slowly: ~60kb/s
>
> I look for ub module on the net and it seems that this module
> "deactivate" usb-storage use when it compiled in the kernel.
>
> So my question(s): is this module necessary ? do you have better
> performances on your config ? Do you know another tool/tip to detect ub
> instead of cfdisk ?

Though I can't reproduce the problems with ub on my testing machines
(some devices work fine with ub, some others with usb-storage), I tend
to remove ub in the next update. Meanwhile there is also a statement in
the kernel help that states that ub would "cripple" usb-storage.
So, it is probably best to remove it. :-(

With kind regards
-Klaus Knopper

Harry Kuhman
08-10-2005, 09:18 PM
.... which make the installation to USB HDD impossible from CD directly, despite it can be done through...
I think there are other better reasons why this was a very bad change to Knoppix. But your argument about installing Knoppix will not help and might even hurt your cause. The Knoppix development team does not (and in my view should not) make design choices based on installing Knoppix to a hard disk. Knoppix's first goal is to be a live CD. The design choices are and should be maide with that as the deciding factor. For those who insist on installing Knoppix rather than Debian to the hard disk, good luck to you. I don't wish you ill, but I sure don't want to see a great live CD like Knoppix compromised by choices to accomodate people who want to "install" a live CD.

d00m3d
08-10-2005, 09:34 PM
They are aware of it & will probably remove it.
http://sympa.linuxtag.net/wws/arc/debian-knoppix/2005-07/msg00009.html

Re: [debian-knoppix] /proc/partitions can't see ub Klaus Knopper

* From: Klaus Knopper <[email protected]>
* To: Jody <[email protected]>
* Cc: [email protected]
* Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] /proc/partitions can't see ub
* Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:37:12 +0200
* Organization: Knopper Networks
* References: <[email protected]>
* User-agent: Mutt/1.5.6+20040907i

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:34:22AM +0200, Jody wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Knoppix 3.8.2 2005-05-05 on Presario 2100 which has:
>
> 0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
>
> The "usb key" is seen by lsusb as:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 08ec:0012 M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers
>
> When I plug this key, dmesg return only:
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
> uba: device 2 capacity nsec 0 bsize 512
>
[snip]
> At this time I can mount uba1 but file tranfert is slowly: ~60kb/s
>
> I look for ub module on the net and it seems that this module
> "deactivate" usb-storage use when it compiled in the kernel.
>
> So my question(s): is this module necessary ? do you have better
> performances on your config ? Do you know another tool/tip to detect ub
> instead of cfdisk ?

Though I can't reproduce the problems with ub on my testing machines
(some devices work fine with ub, some others with usb-storage), I tend
to remove ub in the next update. Meanwhile there is also a statement in
the kernel help that states that ub would "cripple" usb-storage.
So, it is probably best to remove it. :-(

With kind regards
-Klaus KnopperThanks, that's a good news.

... The Knoppix development team does not (and in my view should not) make design choices based on installing Knoppix to a hard disk. Knoppix's first goal is to be a live CD. The design choices are and should be maide with that as the deciding factor. For those who insist on installing Knoppix rather than Debian to the hard disk, good luck to you. I don't wish you ill, but I sure don't want to see a great live CD like Knoppix compromised by choices to accomodate people who want to "install" a live CD.Yes, I knew that. I was warned since day 1. The fact is Knoppix is superior over Debian in certain areas. Many users, like me, tend to install Knoppix into hard disk as if Debian to the hard disk. God bless us!