View Full Version : How to make KNOPPIX fully NTFS support?
cluzterix
08-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Hello..
I know that KNOPPIX is not support for NTFS system (I use version 3.9).
I just can't write or modify my NTFS partition.
How to make KNOPPIX to be fully suported for NTFS system?
Please tell me, I very need this. :(
Thanks a lot
regards.
UnderScore
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
How to make KNOPPIX to be fully suported for NTFS system? You can't get perfect NTFS write support for Linux. It does not exist. There are alternative addons to the Linux Kernel but they too will not give perfect results. NTFS support in Linux is discussed at least twice a week. Search the forums (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php) for ntfs and you will find our past discussions.
ruymbeke
08-18-2005, 09:34 PM
... I just can't write or modify my NTFS partition. ...
Use captive ntfs. Linux and obviously Knoppix only have reliable read only ntfs capability. Captive ntfs will use this read only driver to find the microsoft xp drivers, copy them into linux and run a wrapper to grant ntfs write access. It works very well for me. Good luck, Gilles
cluzterix
08-19-2005, 04:25 AM
Use captive ntfs...
...copy them into linux and run a wrapper to grant ntfs write access.
Where I can get it and how to install it, please..
I am sorry I just still newbie.. :(
Harry Kuhman
08-19-2005, 04:37 AM
Have fun but be very sure that you have all of your data backed up first. From what I've seen here writing to an NTFS partition without captive is like playing Russian Roulet with a revolver with six bullets, or with a semi-automatic pistol. With captive it's safer, much in the same way that playing Russian Roulet with a revolver and only one bullet is "safer".
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see widely different results for users with no SP, SP1 and SP2, and maybe even some extra surprises depending on which "security updates" you let Microsoft install. Experiment, but have good backups!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.