Albretch
08-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi *,
lately I have been toying with the idea of somehow having a multiuser knoppix configuration (especially to protect kids access to the net). Say, instead of basically having two users, 'root' and 'knoppix', I would like for kids' access to the net to be filtered/monitored and or restrict the websites they can access, etc.
I need this kind of functionality because at my school we are working on providing our students with (old, basically discarded ;-)) computers and customized knoppix CDs, to be used by families
I have spent some time thinking about it and checking for knoppix customizations and don't know of anything like that.
I think two things I should look into would be:
1._ an editable Internet Access protocol for a functioning piece of code (kind of an application firewall + content filter (from what I see, Firefox(the browser) has something like that built-in (notice their search feature)))
2._ a way to set some 1.-based context for each “user type”
2.1_ user types should be preset and adjustable
2.2_ the Internet access watchdog feature should work regardless of their being 'root' or 'knoppix'
3._ this type of functionality must be somehow authenticated through
3.1_ a unique, burned ID in the CD (probably the 'Volume' so that the content is not altered)
3.2_ set and editable by the 'admin' person
How do you think this should/could be done?
Thanks
Albretch
lately I have been toying with the idea of somehow having a multiuser knoppix configuration (especially to protect kids access to the net). Say, instead of basically having two users, 'root' and 'knoppix', I would like for kids' access to the net to be filtered/monitored and or restrict the websites they can access, etc.
I need this kind of functionality because at my school we are working on providing our students with (old, basically discarded ;-)) computers and customized knoppix CDs, to be used by families
I have spent some time thinking about it and checking for knoppix customizations and don't know of anything like that.
I think two things I should look into would be:
1._ an editable Internet Access protocol for a functioning piece of code (kind of an application firewall + content filter (from what I see, Firefox(the browser) has something like that built-in (notice their search feature)))
2._ a way to set some 1.-based context for each “user type”
2.1_ user types should be preset and adjustable
2.2_ the Internet access watchdog feature should work regardless of their being 'root' or 'knoppix'
3._ this type of functionality must be somehow authenticated through
3.1_ a unique, burned ID in the CD (probably the 'Volume' so that the content is not altered)
3.2_ set and editable by the 'admin' person
How do you think this should/could be done?
Thanks
Albretch