PDA

View Full Version : Remastered knoppix 3.8 with gnome - but no sound on CD



knopx4me
09-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I have succeeded in remastring knoppix 3.8 with gnome finally. However, the sound does not work on CD. After HD install every thing works fine. It seems to me that it is a conflict between esd and alsa. Any suggestion?

tr
09-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I have succeeded in remastring knoppix 3.8 with gnome finally. However, the sound does not work on CD. After HD install every thing works fine. It seems to me that it is a conflict between esd and alsa. Any suggestion?

I have tried to remaster Gnome too but got frustrated because I could not get hal loaded automatically, because it needs some files from /var/run/dbus directory, and it gets emptied during cleanup process.

Of course, you have gnome-volume-manager installed?

The other thing in my remastering: I can't get gnome started automatically. If I start my remastering in runlevel 2, 'init 5' don't start Gnome. But 'su - knoppix' and 'startx' works.

I tried to install gnx-installer too but it needs some KDE packages as kdm and kdelibs4. I hope I get Knoppix DVD in my hand soon. There is Gnome also included and I think it can be started with cheatcode 'desktop=gnome'.

This is not an answer to your question, sorry, but I try to get other people also remaster Knoppix with Gnome - so there would be more experience to share :)

-tapsa-

knopx4me
09-11-2005, 06:59 PM
tr

It seems to me there is something preventing alsa initializing. After running the CD I did alsaconf and got everything to work. I wish some one can help in resolving this issue. Once I complete it I will try to upload it to the net so everyone can remaster for his needs.

knopx4me
09-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Problem solved by installing gstreamer0.8-oss_0.8.11-1_i386.deb. Now, sound works fine. However, this made the remastered knoppix less stable like Parsix. I hope some one can offer a solution. I noticed that Gnoppix uses Xorg instead of XFree86 does that help?

knopx4me
09-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok. All problems solved by replacing kernel image with the one comes with Kanotix along with all required packages.

knopixel
09-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Ok. All problems solved by replacing kernel image with the one comes with Kanotix along with all required packages.

is there somewhere a step-by-step howto from kde to gnome remastering ?

I have almost succeeded (startx in a chroot is ok, with sound ;-) but what if I wand gdm to log automatically a user, say knoppix ?


(e.g. I want to remove stuff like kdeinit and kdesmserver, and so on...)

thanks for any help

knopx4me
10-11-2005, 09:00 AM
To install Gnome I followed the following:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327666&highlight=mepis+gnome

To remaster it I used:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867

Thanks to James.

I made Gnome the default desktop in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and /etc/X11/Xsession/45Xsession

To make gdm logon knoppix as the default user, I started gdm as root in chrooted environment and selected that.