PDA

View Full Version : installing wireless card drivers



zx2max
10-30-2005, 09:14 PM
i am trying to figure out how to get my internet to work. i am new to linux so please bare with me. knoppix doesnt recognize my wireless card. i have downloaded the program from linuxant website. i am trying to use the cd that came with the wireless card to install the drivers but i cant figure out how to access the cd drive. I am not familar with how to Mount a drive so if thats what i need to do, can someone pls give me directions. Or is there someway to access the drivers already instld on my computer for windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Blackbomb
10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Hello zx2max,


Need more info:

What kind of card do you have?

What version of Knoppix are you using?

Is your card compatible w/ ndisloader?

zx2max
10-31-2005, 06:46 PM
I have a d-link dwl520+ wireless card and am running knoppix 4.0.2. I have tried downloading something for linux from dlinks website but have no idea how to install it. also, I tried downloading the installer from linuxant website but havent figured out how to use it in conjuction with the cd that came with my wireless card.

Blackbomb
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
I think you best bet is getting a copy of windows drivers so you can use NDISWRAPPER.... Knoppix already has NDISWRAPPER installed... What you need is to download windows drivers extract them onto a USB drive or on a folder you can acces from knoppix... bring up a shell

Then as root type:

ndiswrapper -i ?????.INF (?????.INF being your inf file from your driver)

Now to verify type:

ndiswrapper -l

it should say hardware and drivers present if it does type:

ndiswrapper -m

this prepares the module for the kernel and adds the alias

now type:
modprobe ndiswrapper

Now it may stall it may give you an error... if it does try a different driver... Not all drivers work

Check dmesg

if both the module and the driver loaded you can continue w/ iwconfig.

Let me know

zx2max
10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
since i already had the drivers installed on windows for my internet connection, is there a folder I can check that would already have them or should i just just load up windows, download drivers from dlink to a folder then load knoppix and use ndiswrapper? Thanks

Blackbomb
10-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Yep,


I'm not sure where that would be in your case, but yes you can use the drivers already installed on you HD... w/ the cd handy you could just copy the contents of the cd to a folder on your HD then boot knoppix, and install the drivers that way...

zx2max
10-31-2005, 08:42 PM
thanks blackbomb you've been a lot of help. i will give it a try when i get home tonight.

zx2max
10-31-2005, 11:48 PM
ok so i gave this a quick try earlier when i was home on my lunch break. i did it with the ndiswrapper found under the knoppix menu. this way i was able to access my other cdrom drive that had the drivers cd in it. but when i found the .inf file on the cd, knoppix didnt recognize it as a valid .inf file.

Blackbomb
11-01-2005, 12:30 AM
I had that same problem... I had to use ndiswrapper from the konsole in order for it to work right...

zx2max
11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
ok so i had better luck using the konsole but yet again still problems in the end. i got up to the modprobe ndiswrapper then got error. i did the dmesg but i dont quite understand it. Blackbomb you had suggested i try a different driver. what do you mean by that. i chose the driver for win98 off my dlink cd because that is the version of windows i have. do you mean i try a driver for different version of windows?

UnderScore
11-01-2005, 07:44 PM
i chose the driver for win98 off my dlink cd because that is the version of windows i have. do you mean i try a driver for different version of windows?I'm not positive, but I believe Ndiswrapper is written to best use the WinXP drivers & not Win98 drivers. So try the WinXP drivers.

zx2max
11-01-2005, 07:48 PM
thanks i'll give that a try.

Blackbomb
11-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeah try a driver for Windows 2k or Xp....

leonardo4it
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
i am trying to figure out how to get my internet to work. i am new to linux so please bare with me. knoppix doesnt recognize my wireless

I'm new to linux too but tonight I had been lucky...
with knoppix 4.0.2 (live cd) on a sony laptop without ndiswrapper

I ran iwconfig to see that eth1 was my interface wi-fi because I've got wireless extension...
knoppix@0[knoppix]$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"USR9106"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:C0:49:5D:8D:43
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:50 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=53/94 Signal level=-42 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

knoppix@0[knoppix]$

I had to set ESSID, Access Point and Key of encription with

su root
iwconfig eth1 essid USR9106 ap 00:C0:49:5D:8D:43 key s:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with xxxxxxx that in ascii is your key (if enabled)

than (with the gateway already DHCP enabled) I ran from menu Network/Internet the Network card configuration (actually I don't remember if I tried it also with knoppix 3.7 o ubuntu 5.10... :-P so I run to try it)
and the system got his IP 192.168.1.2 and so on...

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ ifconfig
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:9B:01:F8:22
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20e:9bff:fe01:f822/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:11898 errors:95 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:95
TX packets:12284 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:199
RX bytes:10432154 (9.9 MiB) TX bytes:1855399 (1.7 MiB)
Interrupt:11 Memory:e0ea0000-e0eb0000

ciao
leo

zx2max
11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
i tried using the .inf file in the winxp drivers folder on the dlink cd but i think it is the same file no matter what version of windows. it has the same name in all folders and when i try it i get a msg that says its already installed. now when i do the dmesg i dont understand all the stuff it displays but at the end it says:

Code: Bad EIP Value <3> ndiswrapper (wrapperinit:1645): loadndiswrapper failed (11) check system log for messages from 'loadndiswrapper'


Ryan

Blackbomb
11-02-2005, 02:42 AM
It seems as if that driver file isn't compatible w/ ndiswrapper. You'll have to do alittle googling to find a D-link driver that is compatible w/ your chipset and ndiswrapper. It's unfortunate that ndiswrapper doesn't support more drivers.

zx2max
11-02-2005, 08:01 PM
i found something at http://www.linux-wlan.org/index.html but i am still trying to figure out how to install it.

zx2max
11-02-2005, 08:13 PM
one of the steps during the installation asks for an alternate target install root directory on host. What should i enter for a directory?

Blackbomb
11-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Is your card compatable with that software? I'm looking @ the FAQ and it lists

The following vendors are selling hardware using a similar design as the Intersil PRISM card. The following vendors have proven to have compatible hardware:


Zoom Telephonics
Intalk/Nokia
Samsung (Korea)
DDBTEL (Taiwan)
GemTek (Taiwan)
MELCO (Japan)
Bay Networks

If you have a card that is not supported by the Linux WLAN project, then you might want to check the Linux Wireless LAN HOWTO ( http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ ), where you can find a list of other known Linux WLAN drivers.

codegirl269
11-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi,
I followed the instructions from previous posts to install my wireless card driver and I got it partly working. The driver gets installed successfully but the power led is on but the link led is dimmed. When I try to access a website with a mozilla it says its not found. I think I have the settings properly configured but I am not sure if I am missing anything. I specified the essid, key, channel, access point and mode but I still get this problem. Also, when i go to the control center and go to internet/network, wireless network, all of the options are greyed out and I can't do anything. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

codegirl269

leonardo4it
11-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi,
I followed the instructions from previous posts to install my wireless card driver and I got it partly working. The driver gets installed successfully but the power led is on but the link led is dimmed.

codegirl269

post your output of

ifconfig
ifconfig -a
iwconfig

what led? do you have a router/gateway adsl? does it have DHCP enabled?

by leo

leonardo4it
11-05-2005, 11:46 AM
by leo

ehm... I meant BYE

:roll:

codegirl269
11-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi,
My wireless card has two leds, one for power and one for link. I have a wireless router that I am using to access the net with a cable modem and have no idea if DHCP is enabled. Here is my output:

ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:900 (900.0 b) TX bytes:900 (900.0 b)

ifconfig -a
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:18 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:900 (900.0 b) TX bytes:900 (900.0 b)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:E5:4E:9A:B4
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:65 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:15974 (15.5 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Memory:c400000-c401fff

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"mynetwork"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0D:3A:72:0D:8F
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption key:1234-5678-1234-5678-1234-5678-12 Security mode:restricted
Power Management:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-42 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0