Log in

View Full Version : Easy Reboot if Monitor is not displaying anything



Philip Ogletree
10-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Hello,

Knoppix works great on my old machines but the newest machine has some video problems so I have to type in Knoppix screen=800x600 depth=16 each time it boots up. The problem is that I sometimes miss the time limit or forget. In such a situation I have a totally blank screen and have to turn the computer off and then back on. I am worried about not correctly unmounting any drives and not shutting the equipment down correctly. I thought that perhaps a hot key combination such a CNTL-ALT-R could initiate a reboot of the computer and thus shut everything down correctly.

There may already be a way to do this. I thought if the mouse was working a right click could bring up the menu with logout. I keep forgetting to look and see if there is a hotkey that would click the logout menu item and another hotkey for Reboot. I just thought that someone could get messed up at one of those steps and the CNTL-ALT-R might be easier to remember.

Thanks
Philip

rwcitek
10-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Knoppix works great on my old machines but the newest machine has some video problems so I have to type in Knoppix screen=800x600 depth=16 each time it boots up. The problem is that I sometimes miss the time limit or forget. In such a situation I have a totally blank screen and have to turn the computer off and then back on. I am worried about not correctly unmounting any drives and not shutting the equipment down correctly. I thought that perhaps a hot key combination such a CNTL-ALT-R could initiate a reboot of the computer and thus shut everything down correctly.
Thanks for the post. I didn't know Ctrl-Alt-R would do that. I'll have to try that next time I boot up Knoppix. How does Ctrl-Alt-R differ from pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Another thing to try is to press Ctrl-Alt-F1, which should display the first virtual console. You may have to press Enter/Return once or twice to get a prompt. But once you do you should be able to type 'reboot'.

Let us know if either Ctrl-Alt-Del or typeing reboot in a virtual console work for you.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org