View Full Version : how to install truecrypt
doesc
11-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi Everybody,
I often use my USB stick in windows, and I have encoded some data on it using Truecrypt. This version is also supposed to work with Linux. Can anybody tell me how I can use truecrypt on a linux system? is there a manner to put the "traveller software" in a knoppix compatible way on the USB stick, so I can read the data ?
P.S. please remember I am a complete newbie ....
Thanks thanks Thanks !!!!
Ildarin
05-13-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't see any replies, but I'd certainly like to see some.
I'm in pretty much the same boat.
malaire
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
You can download linux-version from http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php.
However, there is no version for Knoppix or Debian, so you need to download the sources and install from there.
However, this needs kernel-sources, and I don't know where to get kernel-sources for Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, so I wasn't able to install this.
pau1knopp
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
also my problem exactly. the headers *should* be here
http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/kernel/
but it looks like the latest they have is for version 3.9 (which was horribly unstable)
anyone have a direct connect to Klaus to get this updated?
You can download linux-version from http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php.
However, there is no version for Knoppix or Debian, so you need to download the sources and install from there.
However, this needs kernel-sources, and I don't know where to get kernel-sources for Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, so I wasn't able to install this.
Borrow a Knoppix 5.0.1DVD (has the kernel sources) to download/verify the truecrypt source/signature and run the ./truecrypt-4.2a/Linux/build.sh script to compile it. Bzip2 the entire truecrypt-4.2a subdirectory (including the newly compiled items) and to compress and save it as a new, mildly larger archive.
Use this new archive anytime with the 5.0.1CD to bunzip2 it, run the ./truecrypt-4.2a/Linux/install.sh script, and go.
(Perhaps on a 1GB USB stick booting from knoppix iso with 256MB left for a truecrypt storage archive? ;) )
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.