PDA

View Full Version : Make Live CD from DVD?...... by total noob.



wobbler
11-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Not all my machines have a DVD player, so would it be possible to create a Live CD from a Live DVD.
For starters I wouldn't know which files to copy for the ISO.

I have Knoppix Live 4.0.2. DVD.

cheers

UnderScore
11-22-2005, 04:38 PM
You could just download & use the 4.0.2 CD instead. KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN 694.61 MB (http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/)

wobbler
11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Problem is I'm still on dial-up.

cheers

UnderScore
11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Ok, so you would have to do the rematering process but remove about 5GB worth of data from the compressed DVD image file before it would fit on a CD. It is certainly possible but I can tell you from my own experiences that it is not an easy or quick task.

wobbler
11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Well I think I'll just buy the Live CD as well then.

Thanks for trying. :D

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Well I think I'll just buy the Live CD as well then.
I would strongly advise burning your own over buying one. Most sellers (if they send you anything at all) seem to burn at high speed (to maximize their profit), which has been frequently shown to cause a number of problems.

wobbler
11-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks, but that would take about 2½ days to download on my slow dial-up.

Or maybe you know of an easy way to make a Live CD from a DVD.

cheers

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Or maybe you know of an easy way to make a Live CD from a DVD.
Find friend with high speed access.
Say "I'll give you this great Knoppix DVD if you download a CD ISO for me".