PDA

View Full Version : Partition XP Pro



Batman
11-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi

I just bought a new PC. I'm planning to run Linux on the previous PC and see if I perhaps can make a complete switch to Linux and leave Win behind... :)
However, until I'm a bit more comfortable with Linux, I'll also be running Win on the new PC. As usual, Dell shipped the PC with only one partition. I wish to repartition (reduce c: in size and add a few logical drives) without having to reinstall anything. Buying partitionmagic is not an option (quite expensive for one-time use only). So why not use Knoppix and get started on Linux in one go? So, here's a few questions:

1. Can Knoppix safely repartition Win XP Pro?
2. Will it work with nVidia GeForce 7800?
3. What is the best Linux distro to get started (I'm a Linux noob)?

Thanks!

Markus
11-23-2005, 10:43 PM
1. Nothing can safely repartition ntfs. You should take backups of everything you don't want to lose, then try qtparted with knoppix which sometimes works, sometimes borks.
2. Yes, but for better performance you should compile a kernel or install kernel-source/headers for knoppix. Haven't checked if they're actually available. http://kanotix.com installs nvidia with a simple script.
3. Used to recommend mandrake, called mandriva nowadays. All depends on what you want. If you want to dive head in, try slackware. It's quite difficult to begin with but teaches a lot by necessity. Why not debian though, you'll have to learn some commands to configure stuff since a "control centre" a lá mandriva is missing. http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/ (former debianpure) is an easier way to get debian installed and configured. Kanotix has good support though on both irc and forum. Knoppix should not be installed on a hd. If you want to run it from cd, fine, but don't expect an install to be problem free.