PDA

View Full Version : file not found?



phayd
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Hello all, I just started using knoppix-std and then discovered this forum. 8) I am new to linux, coming over from windows xp. My problem is this:
1) "mkdir /windows && mount /dev/hda1"
that goes fine but when I then do
2) "cd /windows/WINDOWS/system32/config"
I get file or folder not found. I feel like I'm missing a simple step but can't figure out what. I'm running knoppix-std from a cd on my winxp laptop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rcook
12-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Try using a df command after your mkdir && mount. This will show you what is mounted and it's free space. I have a few reservations about the syntax of your mount command. I am not certain it will mount /dev/hda1 on /windows.

OErjan
12-03-2005, 12:54 PM
mount /dev/hda1 will (if it even works) mount the filesystem on hda1 in /mnt/hda1
if you want it to mount /windows you must change in the textfile /etc/fstab so that the part that reads /mnt/hda1 is replaced with /windows, and there is some script that may overwrite this each reboot (even if hddinstalled).

a "simpler" way would be to mount on /windows would be with
sudo mount -t filesystem /dev/hda1 /windows
replace filesystem wiht either ntfs or fat32 (most likely ntfs as you use XP)

if you just klick on the icon on the desktop you get it mounted auto. so just see where the path there point you