PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to run a windows program when your on linux



kidder550
12-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Hello,

I am just wondering if you can run a windowns program when you are on linux. I have Overclockix which is on a livecd, probably you guys already know that. But anyways can this be done?

OErjan
12-12-2005, 06:05 PM
certainly, there are several emulators out there, check out cedega, crossoveroffice, wine, dosbox to name just a few.

kidder550
12-13-2005, 01:34 AM
o kool. i just looked and i have wine. so does anybody have any expierence with wine and tell me how to run a windows program. please..

foamrotreturns
12-13-2005, 02:50 AM
Depends on the windows program. Wine has a small but pretty versatile library of windows DLLs that it integrates into a special runtime environment for the windows program. It makes the program think it's running on windows 98. So, for instance, Notepad.exe runs just fine. However, 3D Studio Max almost definitely will not. Search Google with the following string:
"<program name> WINE"

sakiZ
12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I've had great success running many Windows programs using CrossOver Office, the non-free version of Wine. Most notably: Photoshop 7. It runs so well I removed Gimp.

sakiZ