PDA

View Full Version : I can not save the file on either my hard drive or usb devic



buddhainside
12-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I can not save the file on either my hard drive or usb devices. After editing a OpenOffice file, I can not save it on \mnt\hda1\. Every time, the system inform me that "error saving the file Untitiled 1". What is the reason for that? Thanks a lot in advance.

rwcitek
12-15-2005, 08:24 AM
I can not save the file on either my hard drive or usb devices. After editing a OpenOffice file, I can not save it on \mnt\hda1\. Every time, the system inform me that "error saving the file Untitiled 1". What is the reason for that? Thanks a lot in advance.
Your USB and HDD are mounted as read-only. Unfortunatley, I don't have KDE in front of me to give you exact directions. But roughly, from the desktop right click on the appropriate icon. From there hunt for an option box that says "read-only" and is checked. Uncheck that box. Click Apply (or Save or OK or whatever the appropriate button is) and you should be able to now mount the drive a read-write and save your files.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

Gordo
01-11-2006, 10:59 PM
I also have that issue. I found the check box, but got a message that I could not change that.

Joeagain
02-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Hello,

I tried the checkbox as well and it still wouldn't permit me to save to the usbdisk. I also tried checking/ unchecking all the relevant checkboxes in this area, but still got the message.

...of course first I tried a terminal, switched to "su" and tried "chmod 777 /mnt/sda1", still got the same message (stayed read only). It was very strange that it won't respond to root's command.

I am using knoppix 4.0.2, and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Harry Kuhman
02-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Come on kids, we've gone over this so many times. Answer #6 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

Joeagain
02-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Harry Kuhman, thank you, that was the solution! Hopefully you won't have to answer this question anymore because it is the first and most (or only) obvious post to show up on a search for "saving to usb".

Again, thanks a lot.

Joe

rwcitek
02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
it is the first and most (or only) obvious post to show up on a search for "saving to usb".
How are you doing your searches? When I search for "saving to usb" (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=saving+to+usb&go=Go) I get an error message: "You have requested a special page that is not recognized by the wiki."

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org

Joeagain
02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Hello Robert,

This thread comes up as second from the top using:

"save to usb"
save to usb
save AND usb
"saving to usb"


The search function I am using is the one in the search link at the top of the forum, the:

"Search | Profile | Private Messages | Log out (Joeagain) | Forum FAQ"

part. Unfortunately I don't know how to print out the URL as you did, (mine comes out as a generic "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php?mode=results" -- probably meaningless), but one difference is that the URL of my pages, (both search and results), don't read "Special:Search?search" as your URL does. Is it possible you have special privileges that I don't?

Joe