PDA

View Full Version : Ps/2 mouse don't work after remastering



tr
12-23-2005, 05:10 PM
I have been wondering why ps/2 mouse don't work anymore - usb mouse is OK:

I have used kernel 2.6.15-rc4 from Debian and has used config from Knoppix 4.0.2 as a base. PS/2 mouse works IF I start my DVD as an expert. I have compiled every new modules that has been possible with new kernel.

I thougt that I had make some mistakes during compiling so I thought to use compile again using config file from Kanotix's new rc20 release. Same results: ps2mouse is not working.

Could someone give me a tip what is going on? Perhaps this has something to do with Debian's updates from unstable source (broken packages) or something.

There is no mouse file in /etc/sysconfig as should be so using mouseconfig and starting X again (init 5) don't help after starting DVD.

I had a working system about a week ago using old 2.6.12 kernel, udev and X.org. So my problem is with the new kernel or has something to do with updates. I tested new kernel in hd before using it in my DVD and it worked fine.


-tapsa-

markpreston
12-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi tr,
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your problem, but reading
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18188
might help give you some avenues to pursue.
Regards,
Mark

tr
12-24-2005, 08:16 AM
markpreston:
Thank for that link but it didn't help.

Forgot to tell that I have tried with Logitech and MS wheel mouse and same problem with both of them. The problem is not mouse itself but has something to do with detecting process. I'm now convinced that my kernel config is OK, so the problem is somewhere else.

If I boot with new Kanotix mouse is detected as ImExPS/2 (Generic Wheel Mouse) in /dev/psaux. In my own remastering this is bypassed but works if starting in expert mode and configuring mouse as ps/2 mouse.

Perhaps this is the problem:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00010.html


-tapsa-

knopx4me
12-26-2005, 04:27 AM
I had the same problem in 2.6.14 and solved it by changing this line in my config file from "m" to "y":

CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

I also noticed that Kano used "m" but he made an automatic modprobe of psmouse module at start up.

tr
12-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I had the same problem in 2.6.14 and solved it by changing this line in my config file from "m" to "y":

CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

Thank yo. I also noticed that Kano used "m" but he made an automatic modprobe of psmouse module at start up.

Yes, I have that as an module as in Kanotix but I have also in knoppix-autoconfig:


# load psmouse module
modprobe psmouse &>/dev/null
if checkbootparam "nohwsetup"; then
echo "${BLUE}Loading hardware profile from ${MAGENTA}/etc/modules${BLUE}.${NORMAL}"
/etc/init.d/modutils-knoppix start &>/dev/null
else
echo -n "${WHITE}"
if hwsetup -p $HWSETUP_NOSERIAL >/dev/null; then
echo -n "${NORMAL}"
else
echo " ${RED}Please check.${NORMAL}"
fi
fi


Command lsmod shows that psmouse is loaded. Still wondering...

Perhaps I should try to compile ps/2 mouse directly to the kernel and not as a module. That should fix it.

-tapsa-

tr
12-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Now ps/2 mouse works!

This had something to do with kernel configuration but I don't know what was wrong.

Anyhow, I took config file from Knoppix 4.0.2 (previously used Kanotix's config) and added new modules to it. Ps/2 mouse is now compiled to the kernel and not as a module.


-tapsa-