PDA

View Full Version : Settings/Bookmark retention



Newbe
01-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Seems to me settings arn't retained between boots. Example: Firefox- homepage, bookmarks, etc. I have the Tohd/fromhd option in use. Would be nice if all settings could be retained. I use DSL but I imagine dialup settings won't be retained either????

Newbe
01-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I found that if I place a file "index.html" in the next directory before "/Knoppix" dir that the "tohd" command installed, it loads in the browser. I placed my bookmarks in this page. You can use the first button on the second tool bar to load this as home page.

I found the save config program, "Knoppix.sh",but it seems to only save limited settings. I did the load Config at boot:.

Anyone have any Idea how to retain and save and make all settings Knoppix and programs saved and reloaded with the load up with "fromhd". Settings seem to go into RAM drive and are lost at shutdown.

I know one might say do a full install, but that defeats the reason I'm using Knoppix. I want the free CD and Harddrive speed and the likely hood that virus and spyware aren't likely to be installed on an image and if the image is damaged another "tohd" and I'm right back with a virgin copy.

pau1knopp
01-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Here is what I do (with knoppix 4.0.2 and unionfs) to preserve my firefox bookmarks between sessions on my live cd workstation. I keep a copy on a hard drive partition (but could be a thumbdrive, floppy, etc.), delete the index.html that comes with knoppix, and create a logical link to my bookmarks:

rm -rf /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/3d4ef4xp.default/bookmarks.html
ln -s "/mnt/hdb1/My Documents/bookmarks20051024.html" /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/3d4ef4xp.default/bookmarks.html

cvevans
01-16-2006, 06:10 AM
I have all my bookmarks & settings saved -
you just click the penguin, configure,
Create a persistent Knoppix disk image.
If you plan to install clamav, you will need at least 300M;
600M is better if you have the disk space.
(If you defrag first it's faster; backup before defrag just to be sure)

BUT the real frustration is when booting - one MUST answer the prompt
to allow overwrite - easy - then NOT hit enter - HARD -
but Left Arrow to OK, THEN enter - within 20 seconds -
or the saved bookmarks,etc. are NOT loaded.
When this little UI gotcha is fixed, it will be fine.
When you pick overwrite, it should DEFAULT to OK, NOT CANCEL!
(please please PLEASE kind developers fix this!)

Remember tho that the Root superuser has its own bookmarks -
I exported the Knoppix bookmarks & imported as Root, but it's a hassle.
(Someone please make a real database plugin for bookmarks)