View Full Version : Help with squashfs please
JeffElkins
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm stuck.
I've compiled squashfs v2.2 into my kernel, issued: mksquashfs myfiletree/ /isoimage/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX,
built the iso and boot never finds the KNOPPIX image but drops me into a limited ash shell. I've made several changes to linuxrc in an attempt to mount the KNOPPIX image, but haven't hit on the correct combo. I've tried with squash and loopback as modules and compiled into the kernel. Is there an example linuxrc with squashfs implemented or a howto I can study?
I searched the forum, but didn't grok the references I found. This remaster is based on an older knoppix isolinux previously based on kernel 2.6.7 - I'm remastering 2.6.12 and need to escape from cloop hell!
Thanks!
firnsy
01-18-2006, 10:02 PM
You can't use ash in the original minirt.gz to mount your squashfs image. Reason being is that it doesn't support the "-o loop" command needed. You'll have to replace with busybox or similar that has the -o loop command supported. I use busybox-1.01, but I believe 1.1.0 is out.
JeffElkins
01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
No luck here yet.
I'm getting a message from busybox/ash that no spare loop devices are available?
You can't use ash in the original minirt.gz to mount your squashfs image. Reason being is that it doesn't support the "-o loop" command needed. You'll have to replace with busybox or similar that has the -o loop command supported. I use busybox-1.01, but I believe 1.1.0 is out.
Firmsy:
Would you please be so kind to explain this little bit better?
I'm a little bit confused of this squasfs. I'm using initramfs and also that don't accept loopback image but cpio image. So I can't mount it like initrd:
# gunzip minirt.gz
# mount -o loop minirt /mount_point
but:
# gunzip minirt.gz
# cpio -i < minirt
(unpacks in the same direcortory where unzipped minirt is)
Kanotix seems to use squasfs and has busybox in minirt's /static directory. Also ash is there as a symlink to busybox.
I would like to test squasfs, too, but what are the steps to do? I have also compiled squasfs as a module in my kernel.
-tapsa-
JeffElkins
01-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Is there somewhere a downloadable working remaster with squashfs enabled that is based on a Knoppix 3.X structure?
My needs are simple. I have a working remaster made that is strictly for pendrive installation. However, I'm limited to kernel 2.6.7, since I can't seem to get a new cloop.o module compiled for later kernels (I get an invalid format error with insmod). Hence my interest in squashfs.
firnsy
01-20-2006, 01:42 AM
I'm a little bit confused of this squashfs. I'm using initramfs and also that don't accept loopback image but cpio image. So I can't mount it like initrd:
# gunzip minirt.gz
# mount -o loop minirt /mount_point
The whole benefit (I believe of initramfs) is that you don't have to keep loopback mounting it. Similarly to the way you have the KNOPPIX filesystem in a seperate directory during remastering you can have a seperate MINIROOT filesystem directory, that way whenever you make changes to the MINIROOT filesystem you just recompress it. In my opinion that beats the, unziping, loopback mounting, make changes, unmounting, compressing cycle any day.
Kanotix seems to use squasfs and has busybox in minirt's /static directory. Also ash is there as a symlink to busybox.
I would like to test squasfs, too, but what are the steps to do? I have also compiled squasfs as a module in my kernel.
-tapsa-
That's similar to what I did, compile busybox ensuring you have the essential options compiled in, the big one obviously to select is mount with loopback support, copy the busybox binary to /static, backup ash if you want, create a symlink from ash to busybox. You'll have to modify linuxrc slightly, I believe the function is mount_knoppix() where the KNOPPIX file is actually mounted. The syntax will be of the form (or to the effect of)
mount -t squashfs -o loop /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /KNOPPIX
Is there somewhere a downloadable working remaster with squashfs enabled that is based on a Knoppix 3.X structure?
My needs are simple. I have a working remaster made that is strictly for pendrive installation. However, I'm limited to kernel 2.6.7, since I can't seem to get a new cloop.o module compiled for later kernels (I get an invalid format error with insmod). Hence my interest in squashfs.
Kanotix would be starting point I'd imagine from what others have mentioned, grml is one I think, I will have one available in the next few weeks www.securixlive.com (but i'm sure you want it now)
JeffElkins
01-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the responses. It looks like GRML will be a good place to start.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.