dpeterka
01-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi,
We've an old, old, old Compaq Proliant server, from which we need to recover some files, it's using RAID so we can't just pull the drives somewhere. I'd like to mount a drive and copy some of the files off the system. However when I run mount I get the following, for all 3 devices I try to mount:
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/ida/c0d1 /mnt/c0d1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ida/c0d1,
or too many mounted file systems
knoppix@3[~]$ dmesg
NTFS-fs error (device ida/c0d1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot sector is invalid.
NTFS-fs error (device ida/c0d1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.
NTFS-fs error (device ida/c0d1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.
Note prior to this I had done:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV -v cciss
which printed a lot of new dev devices but when checking with qtparted and cfdisk it didn't print any valid devices, just thought I'd throw that in the mix in case I messed up something by doing so, last time I used Knoppix (years ago) this was required in order for it to be able to detect the partition on a Proliant server with RAID.
fdisk, qtparted and cfdisk all seem to see the partitions correctly when I do :
knoppix@3[~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d1
Disk /dev/ida/c0d1: 198.1 GB, 198150389760 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 47428 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d1p1 1 38711 157940864 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ida/c0d1p2 38712 47428 35565360 7 HPFS/NTFS
knoppix@3[~]$ sudo cfdisk -Pt /dev/ida/c0d1
Partition Table for /dev/ida/c0d1
---Starting--- ----Ending---- Start Number of
# Flags Head Sect Cyl ID Head Sect Cyl Sector Sectors
-- ----- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----------- -----------
1 0x00 1 1 0 0x07 254 32 1023 32 315881728
2 0x00 254 32 1023 0x07 254 32 1023 315881760 71130720
3 0x00 0 0 0 0x00 0 0 0 0 0
4 0x00 0 0 0 0x00 0 0 0 0 0
And here is the full list of devices on the server (Drives Compaq system boot thingy, C,D,E and F)
root@1[auto]# fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d0
Disk /dev/ida/c0d0: 2148 MB, 2148499456 bytes
173 heads, 32 sectors/track, 758 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 5536 * 512 = 2834432 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d0p1 1 12 33200 12 Compaq diagnostics/dev/ida/c0d0p2 * 13 758 2064928 7 HPFS/NTFS
root@1[auto]# fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d1
Disk /dev/ida/c0d1: 198.1 GB, 198150389760 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 47428 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d1p1 1 38711 157940864 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ida/c0d1p2 38712 47428 35565360 7 HPFS/NTFS
root@1[auto]# fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d2
Disk /dev/ida/c0d2: 54.6 GB, 54626304000 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 52095 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d2p1 1 52095 53345264 7 HPFS/NTFS
We've an old, old, old Compaq Proliant server, from which we need to recover some files, it's using RAID so we can't just pull the drives somewhere. I'd like to mount a drive and copy some of the files off the system. However when I run mount I get the following, for all 3 devices I try to mount:
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/ida/c0d1 /mnt/c0d1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ida/c0d1,
or too many mounted file systems
knoppix@3[~]$ dmesg
NTFS-fs error (device ida/c0d1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot sector is invalid.
NTFS-fs error (device ida/c0d1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.
NTFS-fs error (device ida/c0d1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.
Note prior to this I had done:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV -v cciss
which printed a lot of new dev devices but when checking with qtparted and cfdisk it didn't print any valid devices, just thought I'd throw that in the mix in case I messed up something by doing so, last time I used Knoppix (years ago) this was required in order for it to be able to detect the partition on a Proliant server with RAID.
fdisk, qtparted and cfdisk all seem to see the partitions correctly when I do :
knoppix@3[~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d1
Disk /dev/ida/c0d1: 198.1 GB, 198150389760 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 47428 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d1p1 1 38711 157940864 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ida/c0d1p2 38712 47428 35565360 7 HPFS/NTFS
knoppix@3[~]$ sudo cfdisk -Pt /dev/ida/c0d1
Partition Table for /dev/ida/c0d1
---Starting--- ----Ending---- Start Number of
# Flags Head Sect Cyl ID Head Sect Cyl Sector Sectors
-- ----- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----------- -----------
1 0x00 1 1 0 0x07 254 32 1023 32 315881728
2 0x00 254 32 1023 0x07 254 32 1023 315881760 71130720
3 0x00 0 0 0 0x00 0 0 0 0 0
4 0x00 0 0 0 0x00 0 0 0 0 0
And here is the full list of devices on the server (Drives Compaq system boot thingy, C,D,E and F)
root@1[auto]# fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d0
Disk /dev/ida/c0d0: 2148 MB, 2148499456 bytes
173 heads, 32 sectors/track, 758 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 5536 * 512 = 2834432 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d0p1 1 12 33200 12 Compaq diagnostics/dev/ida/c0d0p2 * 13 758 2064928 7 HPFS/NTFS
root@1[auto]# fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d1
Disk /dev/ida/c0d1: 198.1 GB, 198150389760 bytes
255 heads, 32 sectors/track, 47428 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d1p1 1 38711 157940864 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/ida/c0d1p2 38712 47428 35565360 7 HPFS/NTFS
root@1[auto]# fdisk -l /dev/ida/c0d2
Disk /dev/ida/c0d2: 54.6 GB, 54626304000 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 52095 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/ida/c0d2p1 1 52095 53345264 7 HPFS/NTFS