Log in

View Full Version : External CD-writer functionality



Subverter
02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Greetings all, Im new to Knoppix (or linux for that matter), but I see great potential in Knoppix as a data rescue
tool. I would be eternally greatful if an individual of necessary skill added support for external CD-RW drives. I'm not
sure how Knoppix handles external USB devices, however, if it could be done I would be more than content with this
handy OS-in-a-box.

sakiZ
02-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I use Knoppix 3.7, a HDD install.

Using the default 2.4.27 Kernel it works with my Mad Dog USB 7-in-1 external USB DVD-RW dual layer drive just fine. I can play DVDs, burn CDs and DVDs. Everything.

But using the 2.6.9 kernel, it doesn't see it as a writable device. This is because kernel 2.6.9 has a bug in it that causes the drive to be mis-reported as a Revoltec external hard drive.

Perhaps this bug got fixed in later kernel versions.

sakiZ

OErjan
02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
i use both a plextor and Iomega writer both external and both work great in Linux. most USB writers seem to work.
they are normally called sdX (x is a letter from a-z ) and should appear on your desktop as an icon.