View Full Version : Add/Remove Windows Programs or Startup Using Knoppix???
PC-Renew
02-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Is there a way to remove Windows programs using Knoppix? How about changing the Windows Startup programs?
I am having a problem with Norton GoBack hanging just after POST, not allowing Windows to load, and also not allowing me to boot into Safe Mode. The 'solution' supplied by Symantec did not work, so I am hoping that I can boot into Knoppix and fix everything up.
Thanks in advance!
Harry Kuhman
02-24-2006, 12:50 AM
The short answer is, if you are using XP, no.
If you are using 98, maybe. I wouldn't muck with the registery, but if you remove the program itsel the it can't start even if there is a registery entry to do so. There may be an error, but the system should boot past it.
PC-Renew
02-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh yeah... sorry about not giving all the information...
OS: Windows XP Pro
so no dice?
sakiZ
02-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Google to a little free utility called Regseeker. It will uninstall a lot of stuff Windows cannot.
You may have to boot to safe mode to use it most effectively.
It also does an amazing job of cleaning out garbage from the registry.
Good luck,
sakiZ
PC-Renew
02-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys...
I just backed up the data (thanks to Knoppix) and did a reformat. Glad I did... the PC is clean and crisp.
sakiZ - remember, I couldn't boot the PC into regular Windows or into safe mode. Norton GoBack would hang just after POST.
sakiZ
02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, glad to hear you are running again.
sakiZ
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.