View Full Version : Serious Newbie...Need Help
stuffdeer
02-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey Everyone,
Let me first start off by saying...I have been using Windows for the past 7 years and nothing but windows.
I kinda knew what kinux was...And upon looking, I have it installed and running Knoppix 4.0 with KDE 3.4.
Now for my help part. Everything is working as it should.
BUT..I am used to in windows...And.EXE file and everything setting itself up.
I am completely clueless on how to install anyhting into linux.
Could someone give me a STEP by STEP guide on how to install...Limewire.
If it helps..It is an .RPM file. I am completely clueless.
Also...When I try anything from Klik, I get an error saying /ETC/fstab something something something is not ready to be written to or something.
Thanks a lot guys.
I'll be around here for a while!
Mike R from Michigan
Harry Kuhman
02-27-2006, 07:31 AM
See answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).
dmizer
02-27-2006, 08:25 AM
in an attempt to actually be helpful, i'm going to assume something. that you've installed knoppix to your hard drive.
in case you haven't installed knoppix to your hard drive, your problem is that you're running an operating system from a non writable media ... your cd.
if you have installed knoppix to your hard drive, here's your problem -
1) knoppix is a live distribution. this means = it's purpose is to be run from a cd. the directory structure is unique as a result of that so installation packages don't know where to look for their dependencies.
2) rpm is for a different version of linux. while it may work in debian, it won't work in knoppix without a rework of the kernel.
knoppix is debian based. if you've already committed to installing knoppix to your hard drive, your better option is to install debian instead. and while this might not give you 100% hardware support like knoppix, you will find it much easier to install programs with apt get.
some programs you can get installed to knoppix through klik ( http://klik.atekon.de/ ), but not everything. and limewire is not one of the programs available through klik.
knoppix is a recovery tool, and a demonstration tool. it is meant to be run directly from the cd, and is not meant to be altered, and it's not an operating system you should run on a daily basis. while there are ways around this, they are complicated and they will make you bald. if you want to play with linux, knoppix is fun to get a feel for how it works, but if you want to install it and have it be a usable configurable operating system ... look elsewhere.
for more detailed reasons, read this: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it
btw ... limewire is evil anyway: http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/Pest.aspx?id=453088059
"[limewire is] A peer network used primarily for music file sharing. In an organization, can degrade network performance and consume vast amounts of storage. Is distributed with many spyware/adware products bundled in." ... wonder why your windows is running slow? that's why.
also, there is a tiny (almost unreadable) little clickable "edit" to the upper right corner of your post. click on that and you can edit your topic line to avoid harry kuhman's ubiquitous "answer #7".
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.