PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 4.0 webserver



frankie84
03-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi this is my first post I hope I have posted this is the correct forum sorry if i havnt.

For my uni project I need to create a web server on a linux OS. As I didnt have a Linux OS i decided to purchase Knoppix 4.0 dvd.

Is it possible to set up a web server using knoppix 4.0 dvd?

Harry Kuhman
03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Since Knoppiux is free, purchasing it is not a great idea, particularly since purchased copies are often high speed burns that are marginal at best.

What version you have is not clear. 4.0 was only released officially at a trade show and only in German. The current English DVD version is 4.0.2. but there was an older 4.0.1 that had bugs that 4.0.2 has corrected. Not that 4.0.2 doesn't have some bugs ....

Knoppix is intended as a Live CD or DVD. The DVD does include the Apachee web server, but most people running web servers expect to do it from a hard disk and not from a Live CD/DVD. Knoppix is not recommended for installing to hard disk; you likely would be much better off installing a version of Linux intended for hard disk. Debian, the distro that Knoppix is based on, is one option, and of course Apachee is available for it (as are all of the programs included with Knoppix).

frankie84
03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to create a web server from a bootable version though or does it have to be on the hard drive

rcook
03-02-2006, 05:21 PM
KNOPPIX Hacks, the book, has at least one hack on creating servers. You would need to provide the
configuration and content on a memory stick. I guess you could put them on a hard drive,
preferably FAT so you can edit it from KNOPPIX.

markpreston
03-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Yes it is possible to create a web server from a bootable version of Knoppix,
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23148
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19300
and many other links should show you what can be achieved.
Regards,
Mark

rmcferren
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
The memory stick or HDD for the content and config are required, but I have set up little web servers for fun, once under linux. I am assuming that you need only to load a small page on a remote computer. If this is the case the memory stick could actually be replaced with a floppy disk. This could be simple, we need more details about the project. Requirements, etc.