View Full Version : Please Suggest a Distro for Old Hardware
pranav
03-30-2006, 03:06 AM
I am not sure if this is the right place to post. I am new to Linux, please help me.
I have heard/read somewhere that linux utilizes old hardware better than Winduhs. I want to install Linux on an old machine.. Pentium 2 with 128 MB RAM. Will Knoppix work?
Please suggest me a distro of linux. The applications to be used extensively will be Office & Multimedia. A GUI interface is also desired.
Please suggest me a distro which will run smoothly on the old machine.
Jason W
03-30-2006, 03:24 AM
I find that Debian is good on the hard drive for old hardware, and even Knoppix will run for me with 200Mhz and 96MB RAM ( if you have swap space), but speed and usability is in the eyes of the beholder. All I have is old hardware, so I have tried lots of avenues and have settled on Debian/Knoppix. If you boot Knoppix with the cheatcode "knoppix desktop=icewm" you will have a fast desktop to work with. I would avoid KDE if you are going to use multimedia applications whether on a live cd or install, unless your Pentium 2 is 400Mhz or more.
pranav
03-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for replying.
Is there a way that during the HD install i do not install a lot of default things which will really be unnecessary for this old machine? How will I be able to not choose KDE during install.
Or is it that i let it get installed on the HD n during login i change the session type.
Harry Kuhman
03-30-2006, 07:53 PM
How will I be able to not choose KDE during install.
When installing Debian (at least from a net-instal), if you don't specifically select desktop environment then you do not get a GUI. If you do select desktop environment then you will get Gnome, not the larger KDE. KDE can be loaded later with apt-get if you wish it. Of course, there is an expert mode that lets you pick exactly what packages you want, but the defaults are the way to go for a first install.
Rather than waiting for this and answers to your next questioins, you might save yourself some time if you just go ahead and try a Debian install. Sure, you might not get everything exactly right the first time and want to go back and install again, but that's part of the learning process and could still be faster than waiting for an answer to a question like this.
pranav
03-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Rather than waiting for this and answers to your next questioins, you might save yourself some time if you just go ahead and try a Debian install. Sure, you might not get everything exactly right the first time and want to go back and install again, but that's part of the learning process and could still be faster than waiting for an answer to a question like this.
I understand that & I do it on my home computer which is a P4. But the old hardware computer in question is 30 mins away from my residence. It is needed for a non-profit organization. Somebody has donated an old PC and I hv to make it work.
It is a Pentium 2: 350.. 128MB SDRAM, 4GB HardDisk & CDROM and has no usb, no floppy & no internet.
The things I have with me are Knoppix 4.0.2 & Damn Small Linux. I tried Knoppix boot: hit return.. it didnt load. I will try knoppix desktop=icewm tnow. However the problem is that after the very 1st 2 lines of commandline..it hangs. I made 1GB swap partition. Is dat enuff ?
Then I used Damn Small Linux and used the "lowram" boot option.. It loaded. But I feel something with more Office applications is desireable.
This is the reason I am seeking some guidance in knowing which distro. At home i have a 64kbps internet connection. So i do not mind dwlding a distro. although it will take very long on my slow connection. The PC where i will be installing has no internet. So i would want something tht wud run out of the box. Only necessity would be officeapplications (mostly word processor), a basic gui and some basic multimedia support (i dont expect to author dvds on the old hardware).
malaire
04-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Please suggest me a distro of linux. The applications to be used extensively will be Office & Multimedia. A GUI interface is also desired.
Please suggest me a distro which will run smoothly on the old machine.
If you havn't tested it yet, I think you should at least try Puppy Linux http://www.puppyos.com/
Newest version is currently 1.0.8.
New Puppy2 is still in development.
maxIT
04-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Not tested on my own but many people suggests slackware even with a 486 processor, so your pentium2 would be a cutting edge hardware for this distro.
Maybe (I guess) this isn't simple distro to install for newbies.
pranav
04-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.. am still downloading n trying out.. was able to boot into knoppix kde by typing the cheatcode "failsafe" but the old serial mouse didnt work
also vector linux and Damn Small Linux were successfully installed. (one by one not multi boot) It has a 4GB hard disk only
However.. the Live DSL worked but aftr the hd install & after ejecting the cd, there was no way the boot happened frm the hdd.
I've set the boot sequence as "CDROM, C, A" in the BIOS options.
Dont know wht else cud be done. Should i be cheking the jumpers in the harddisk ?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.