PDA

View Full Version : syncing/unmounting filesystems takes way too long



chewinggumking
04-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Hello people

I have been using the knoppix CD now for a few weeks and I've come across this really annoying problem that seriuosly pisses me off. Everytime I enable DMA on my 160GB NTFS drive the OS takes forever to shut down.

It stops at "syncing/unmounting filesystems hdb1" which is the drive I mentioned above. Sometimes it continues after 10 to 15 minutes and shuts down but most of the time it just stays there till I reset my PC manually. This corrupts my persistent image on the USB stick on the next bootup. I'm afraid it might also damage my NTFS drive and or partition.

A good solution to this would be really neat. I've tried SimplyMepis and that does not have this problem. I prefer to use knoppix and would really like help on this issue.

Kind regards

Chew

rusty
04-08-2006, 01:24 AM
A couple of things to check,

From a shell type: hdparm /dev/hdx , replacing the x with the letter of the drive in question. Do the same with mepis and see if they are different. If you are up to it there is a man page for hdparm, type: man hdparm or google for hdparm.

The other thing to check might be the file /etc/fstab that contains file system information. Again compare both knoppix and mepis.

There are probably other things worth looking at but these come to the top of my head.

HTH.

chewinggumking
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Hello rusty

THis is what I get when I try hdparm

Mepis

/dev/hdb1:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 24321/255/63, sectors = 390716802, start = 63


Knoppix
/dev/hdb1:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 24321/255/63, sectors = 390716802, start = 63

chewinggumking
04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
AS you can see both are the same and I need to know what else I can do to improve knoppix shutdown times.

Cheers

Chew

rusty
04-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Hmm,
I see my two cents worth was worth every penny.

Since nobody else has reported a similar problem, I wonder if it could be a bad CD. A couple of other things: Do you see any messages in the console that suggest whats going on when shutting down? Are the drive(s) lights on while your waiting? What happens if you, from a root shell, type: umount /dev/hdx , then halt or reboot.

Just a few ideas to help diagnose the problem, maybe others will chime in with suggestions as well.

Regards.

chewinggumking
04-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Mepis FSTAB
# Static entries below, do not use 'users' option in this area
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0


# Dynamic entries below, identified by 'users' option
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=0222 0 0

/dev/cloop0 /mnt/cloop0 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat,ext3,ext2,reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0

Knoppix FSTAB
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=kno ppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

Rust as per your instructions I have copied my fstabs here too. I can't make much of them but I hope someone else can and then inform me,

Cheers

Chew

chewinggumking
04-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Howdy Rusty

If I disable DMA for the HDD drive before I shutdown everything is ok. It shuts down quick and easy. If I don't disable DMA the OS takes long to reboot or shutdown. No error message. It just waits at "syncing/unmounting filesystems hdb1".

Cheers

Chew