View Full Version : Creating a customized CD
tlahyani
04-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Hello -
I'm new to Knoppix and I would like to create a customized CD with additional software. I read the instructions on the remastering FAQ page, but what I understood was that remastering is about adding or removing packages that are already included in the CD, not about adding other software applications. Is that right? If so, could anybody point me to where I can find instructions on how to create a customized CD with new applications? Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
nvgringo
04-11-2006, 02:55 AM
You can add programs that are not included on the cd but you will have to remove stuff to get them to fit. The disks are packed as full as possible most of the time. At the top of the screen under where it says "From 0 to Linux in 5 Minutes" There is a link to " Documentation" There are two methods documented. Warning: learning to remaster Knoppix will suck away all of your free time.
hellospencer1
04-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Check this out:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
jstreich
04-25-2006, 12:48 AM
You 'apt-get install' / 'apt-get remove' which pulls software packages from debian repositories online.
The hard parts are:
- upgrading a package often makes it bigger, but you probably want to upgrade for security patches
- removing packages can remove other packages that depend on them, so read the apt's messages carefully.
The big places to get space:
- KDE (it's huge, but pretty... If your users can get away with fluxbox, I'd recomend using it or blackbox)
- OpenOffice (if your not planning on a general use CD, this package has a lot of features and unless you plan on users needing/wanting word procesor, spredsheet and presentation applications, this is a great package to remove)
- Locales. Ever do an update in Debian and had to wait for the locales... Sheesh. Places I'd love to go, places I'd hate to go, places I've never heard of....
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.