PDA

View Full Version : Trying to repair Windows 2000 boot using Knoppix 4.0.2



JungleBoy
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
A Windows 2000 Pro PC won't boot. It comes up with the error message "NTOSKRNL.EXE error or corrupt".
Probably a virus. I've upload NTOSKRNL.EXE to an FTP site. I booted Knoppix 4.0.2 from CD and downloaded
"NTOSKRNL.EXE" from the FTP site but discovered that I can't write to /mnt/hda1/winnt/system32 or anywhere
else on the harddisk. I've tried "chmod 777 system32" at /mnt/hda1/winnt in the command console but
Knoppix says "Read-only file system".

So the question is, how do you write to /mnt/hda1 or any hard disk ?
or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

rcook
04-27-2006, 06:58 PM
The parttion is mounted RO. It can be remounted with a command like mount /dev/xxxx -o remount,rw That should give you write access to the partition.
However, read on.

NTFS is problematic for write access. Writing to NTFS can cause difficulties, loss of information. The problems are usually associated with writing a new file. Rewriting an existing file is less dangerous. Read up on it and the new NTFS drivers to judge the risks.

Dick

JungleBoy
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks