View Full Version : DOS Command Line?
Mongoose
06-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I want to be able to run a DOS command line program in Knoppix. Is there something already built-in to do this? Or do I need to add something?
malaire
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I want to be able to run a DOS command line program in Knoppix. Is there something already built-in to do this? Or do I need to add something?
First you can try "wine YOUR_COMMAND.EXE" from Konsole. If that doesn't work, read on.
You can use program "dosemu" to run dos-programs.
Step-by-step instructions: (Tested with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD)
1. Download http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosemu/dosemu-1.2.2-bin.tgz?download
2. Download http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosemu/dosemu-freedos-b9r5-bin.tgz?download
3. Open Konqueror and go to the directory where you saved those 2 files
4. Press F4 to open Konsole for that directory and use these commands to unpack them:
tar xzf dosemu-freedos-b9r5-bin.tgz
tar xzf dosemu-1.2.2-bin.tgz
Now you can move the extracted "dosemu" directory to where you want to keep it. That directory includes everything you need for dosemu.
To start dosemu, go to the directory "dosemu", press F4 to start Konsole and use this command:
./xdosemu
You should get some text which ends with
"Welcome to dosemu 1.2.2.0!"
C:\>
You can then use normal DOS-commands like "dir"
To use your dos-program, copy it to "freedos" directory in "dosemu" directory. (That directory will show up as c:\ within dosemu)
If you need any further help, just ask.
Mongoose
06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks, malaire. I'm going to try that later this week. I'll let you all know how it works.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.