PDA

View Full Version : install to dell x200 with firewire CD ROM?



ceallagh
03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
I want to make a Knoppix boot disk so that I can rescue some files off my almost dead HD, which will no longer boot XP, but still runs (mostly). The X200 has no floppy or CD ROM, except for a firewire external. Has anyone tried this? I suppose I could use a memory stick, instead, maybe? Help?

I'm a newbie to this; mea culpa if I'm asking the wrong question or am in the wrong place.

Many thanks,
C

amvakar
03-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I've used a USB floppy drive to boot before, but to be sure, check your BIOS to see if there's an option to boot from an external drive.

ceallagh
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Turns out my external was indeed in the boot string; the Knoppix CD worked just great and I got all the files I needed. What a lifesaver! Whew!