PDA

View Full Version : newbie - internet with cable modem on ethernet



net2surfin
06-02-2007, 02:25 AM
I have burn and successfully boot knoppix 5.1 dvd.
But one big question is how to configure internet connection? :?:
I using motorola SB5101 cable modem, connected via NVidia NForce ethernet card
Manually (static) IP:
IP address: 202.169.231.103
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 202.169.231.1
DNS1: 202.169.224.3
DNS2: 202.169.224.4

Konqueror always stuck, even modem web interface (192.168.100.1) wont read.
Thanks for help, I really appreciate it

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Konqueror always stuck, even modem web interface (192.168.100.1) wont read.
I don't know your particular modem, and quite frankly don't have time to try to look it up. But you give a 192.168.xxx.xxx address for it. Does that indicate that it has an internal router in it and gives out local NAT addresses? Because that's what it normally means to me, but the ip and gateway addresses posted are not consistemt with that. If you do have a router built into your modem then you should be getting local 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses assigned by DHCP automatically at boot time.

If you don't have a router built into your router, then I very strongly suggest that you get one, particularly if you still use windows. Windows just isn't safe without a router, even with a software firewall. And it will make your Linux Internet far more smoother.

I also suggest that you boot the CD or DVD and post the output of ifconfig before doing any netcardconfig operation.

net2surfin
06-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks Mr. Harry


If you do have a router built into your modem then you should be getting local 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses assigned by DHCP automatically at boot time.

My cable modem has built in monitor that can be viewed via any browser by typing its IP : 192.168.100.1. I don't know if it has a router (I check it on manuals and found nothing about router), but the modem do have DHCP for ten client, range from 192.168.100.20 (is this mean it has router function?). However, I cannot use DHCP, the cable company (my broadband provider) has strictly define static IP in order to avoid IP conflict with other user and faster connection.

By the way, I try with GPRS connection and succeeded :?: so it must be my modem trouble or something weird happening...


I also suggest that you boot the CD or DVD and post the output of ifconfig before doing any netcardconfig operation.
I'll try ifconfig and give you the result. Currently boot up process failed (kernel panic....) and I found that the DVD scratched badly :cry: so I have to burn again.

Harry Kuhman
06-02-2007, 08:41 AM
My cable modem has built in monitor that can be viewed via any browser by typing its IP : 192.168.100.1. I don't know if it has a router (I check it on manuals and found nothing about router), but the modem do have DHCP for ten client, range from 192.168.100.20 (is this mean it has router function?). However, I cannot use DHCP, the cable company (my broadband provider) has strictly define static IP in order to avoid IP conflict with other user and faster connection.

By the way, I try with GPRS connection and succeeded :?: so it must be my modem trouble or something weird happening...

Yes, the support for 10 users in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range would be what I'm refering to as a router. Google search for NAT router (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NAT+router&btnG=Google+Search) to learn lots more. However, the statement that your cable company configuration conflicts with the router function does not make sense. A NAT router shows up as one public IP address to the cable company, and would get the IP address that you are assigned, All users on your side of the router would get private IP addresses in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range that your cable company can't even see. The router takes care of making sure that all user's traffice gets to the right user, this is well understood technology and there should be no conflict berween computers on your system or between your computers and any other internet users. Yes, there is a very very small delay introduced in having the router do NAT, but it's minimal and insignificant in comaprison to other network delays, and quite acceptable to you for the security it offers (the real delays happen after someone hacks your system because you were not protected by a NAT router). If you can't enable the router in you modem I would still urge you to buy another independent home router. They are now quite inexpensive, will look like one user to your ISP, and will give you a much safer Internet experience. I would not connect my computer to the Internet wothout a NAT router.

Without a router I'm at a loss to know why Knoppix doesn't get DHCP setup from the ISP, although they may expect you to hard code the assigned IP address into your system. If that's the case you should be able to do it with natcardconfig, but if you get a router (or enable the one in your modem), then you can assign the router the public IP address and allow it to give out private non-routable IP addresses to any system when it boots by DHCP.

cbagger01
06-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I have burn and successfully boot knoppix 5.1 dvd.
But one big question is how to configure internet connection? :?:
I using motorola SB5101 cable modem, connected via NVidia NForce ethernet card
Manually (static) IP:
IP address: 202.169.231.103
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 202.169.231.1
DNS1: 202.169.224.3
DNS2: 202.169.224.4

Konqueror always stuck, even modem web interface (192.168.100.1) wont read.
Thanks for help, I really appreciate it

If your network interface is not "up" and running, you will not be able to load even local web pages from your cable modem.
And if your network settings are incorrect, you will not be able to load even local web pages because network traffic to your cable modem's internal web page will be sent to your internet gateway instead of to your local subnetwork.

Open a terminal window and type:

sudo su
ifconfig -a


This should tell you if your network interface is UP and ACTIVE, and it will tell you the in-use IP ADDRESS and other information.

If your interface is not up, try running the "netcardconfig" utility and enter your network settings.

If "netcardconfig" cannot find your network card (usually referred to as ETH0), then you do not have the correct network card driver loaded for your computer.

Finally, if you are not using an ETHERNET port and an ETHERNET cable to connect your router, you are then using a USB port and USB cable as an alternative. In this case, you must manually load the USB cable modem network driver.

Open a terminal window and type EXACTLY, including UPPER and lower case letters:

sudo su
modprobe CDCEther

and then run "netcardconfig" again.

Good luck.