View Full Version : How to remastering CD with commercial application?
dtzxdtzx1
06-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Hi,
I am planning to remastering a CD with softwares you cannot automatically get them using apt-get. For example, if I want to remastering a CD with a commercial application with installation CD, Where should I install the software that I can remaster it?
Thanks
Frank
JohnnyH
06-14-2007, 10:15 AM
" ... a commercial application with installation CD ..."
1] I doubt if you will find many such in the Linux world...but anyway if you do have any you need:-
- as a first step, to learn and *practise* how to install it in a 'normal, generic' Linux system (out of scope of this Knoppix Forum)
- as a second step , to implement this in a remaster (search the Forum for links to remastering instructions and 'learn by doing ;) ' ).
2] If you have Windows programs in mind you need:-
- as a first step, to find out if the program will run under WINE. If this is what you need, again that is out of scope of this Forum and you need to research WINE with help of e.g. Google and practise it in a 'normal, generic' Linux system (out of scope of this Knoppix Forum). You are likely to need to copy all your installation files from the CD into the Linux-hosted WINE system.
- *If* this is OK so far then install the program under WINE running in ramdisk of your booted-up Knoppix live CD or DVD (if you don't have more than 1 removable media drive first copy the installation CD to the host system hard drive) and tarball and save to e.g. hard drive the hidden .wine folder in your /home/knoppix folder.
By this time you will know if you didn't already how to work with hidden files and tarballs - such tutorials are out of scope of this forum.
If you are remastering a CD, unless you have removed a lot of other programs you will need to put the remaster on a DVD to provide space for the .wine tarball. Then when you boot this remaster as live, unpack the tarball to put .wine in /home/knoppix .
BTW when I tried the persistent home system, many releases ago, it could not cope with incorporating a WINE system - hence the seperate tarball.
Oh also BTW: the WINE (from winehq) shipped in Knoppix 5.1.1 didn't work for me; I purge and replace it with WINE from Debian Etch.
dtzxdtzx1
06-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the help.
I do not need to run wine. My comercial application is linux version. To make sure that I need to install the software in ramdisk and then remastering it, is it right?
Thanks
Frank
"
Oh also BTW: the WINE (from winehq) shipped in Knoppix 5.1.1 didn't work for me; I purge and replace it with WINE from Debian Etch.
Or even better, Wine from Ubuntu Feisty http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb. Winetools package is removed when installing Feisty's Wine package, but you don't need it. My Wine version is:
pt-cache policy wine
wine:
Asennettu: 0.9.38~winehq0~ubuntu~7.04-1
Ehdokas: (ei mitään)
Paketin tunnistenumero: (ei löydy)
Versiotaulukko:
*** 0.9.38~winehq0~ubuntu~7.04-1 1000
500 http://wine.budgetdedicated.com feisty/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
0.9.33-1 1000
500 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org unstable/main Packages
0.9.25-2.1 1000
500 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org stable/main Packages
990 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org testing/main Packages
-tapsa-
JohnnyH
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
... I do not need to run wine. My comercial application is linux version. To make sure that I need to install the software in ramdisk and then remastering it, is it right? ...
Yes, it's a good idea to try this first. If you get problems, that may result from some incompatibility between the ramdisk unionfs set-up and the configuration of the commercial software, then you may like to practise on a 'normal' system as a fall-back. This is only a suggestion because of the additional complexities of re-mastering ;) .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.