PDA

View Full Version : knoppix for electrical engeneers



milo_00
07-21-2007, 03:09 AM
hi there

well seeing that there is many projects on the go for the electronics and the mathematics stream of linux i would like to see a version that has all the software that is developed for this stream on one distribution

eg

linux cad software that are like turbocad, electronics workbench etc
maths software like a matlab on linux
openoffice
and programming software

but all to a bare minimum

if there is a disto like this one email me and tell me where to get it

[edited by moderator - email address removed. Please don't feed the spammers. Responses should be posted back here, or, if a private response is needed, by the forum's Private Message feature. This prevents e-mail address harvesting. ]

gccradioscience
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I would agree with that. I started using Knoppix cause most of the applications that are free are in special
file extensions. Also I am a electronics hobbyist and shortwave radio listener. Also I have been hearing that
Windows has alot of problems with security and spyware and pop up ads, ever since i used linux the pop up
ads don't exist here. Finally hobbyists and engineers get peace of mind here. I needed a break from it all so I can work on my projects like using Linux to hook up to a weather station and monitor privately. Soon when i get a bigger harddrive I will have Debian installed along with Windows XP.

So what projects are you working on? I would be glad to hear about it from you.

Adam E.

cbagger01
04-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Through tools like apt-get or the graphical equivalents (Synaptic or KPackage), you can install whatever Debian or Debian-based (Ubuntu) software packages that you choose.

If the software is not stored in the default source.list file, you can add any other needed ones to the list by editing the file. This assumes that your Linux software is packaged for Debian distributions.