PDA

View Full Version : Language problems



cy_mara
09-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi guyz. I download Knoppix Linux, but i have a little problem. I'm from Czech Republic and this Linux don't have czech language. I bought one book about this Linux and they say: "If you want to change language on czech, you must type lang. For Example, if you want to change language on Spanish, you must type to boot: lang=es" For czech it is "lang=cs", but where i must type it? And for keyboard they write somethink about keyboard=cs and xkeyboard=cs, but if i type it to shell, no reaction... Can somebodey help me please? And one more think... I'm from Czech Rep., as you know, so my english language is low. I'm apologize for bad language, in Cz we are little "down" with english...

kirol
09-14-2007, 11:28 PM
For czech it is "lang=cs", but where i must type it?
At the boot prompt, type "knoppix lang=cs". This should select the correct keyboard driver. The CD only has room fro English and German locales, though. So don't expect to have all messages, menus, etc in your language; you'd probably need to install for that, and later add the so-called i18n kde packages (but i'd recommend straight debian if you want to try that)

cy_mara
09-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Ok, so i will try install it (as debian, not beginner?) but i still don't understand "the boot prompt". Where is it? Or how can i open it? I'm apologize again for stupid questions (probably) :oops:

Harry Kuhman
09-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Ok, so i will try install it (as debian, not beginner?) but i still don't understand "the boot prompt". Where is it? Or how can i open it? I'm apologize again for stupid questions (probably) :oops:
NO, if you want to install Linux, install real Debian, not Knoppix.

If you want to try the lang= thing from the CD, boot the CD. The first tim it stops and leys you enter something, before it loads all of Linux, is the boot screen that you are looking for. You have about 30 seconds to enter something here, or the booting will continue. Hit F2 at this point for more help and to stop the countdown.