View Full Version : Question regarding checksum and bittorrent.
Matt2007
09-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi, I'm literally just getting started with downloading a copy of Knoppix. I used bit torrent, do I still need to use a checksum application with it, or is that just used with copies obtained from a mirror?
Thanks,
Matt.
Harry Kuhman
09-16-2007, 10:47 PM
BitTorrent does it's own checksum, so it is much less critical. The only case I know of personally when some got a "bad" download by BT was a friend who stopped the download when it said it reached 100% rather than letting it really complete. But there have been a very few claims of bad BT downloads here. I suspect similar user related problems, but can't know for sure what the problem is. Bottom line is that you get the md5 checksum with the BT download. It would take you less time to simply do the test than it took you to post the question (including downloading a tool like md5summer or quickpar). I assume you ask because you have never checked a md5 sum before. But it's a really useful technique to have experience with, even though there is much less need for it with BitTorrent I urge you take a few minutes and try it. I started using md5s because of the mirror downloads of Knoppix, but I've used them for many other things since and it's become a very handy tool for me.
Don't forget the need to burn that ISO at low speed. Good luck.
Matt2007
09-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Ok thanks.
Harry Kuhman
09-17-2007, 08:38 PM
By the way, would you edit your subject line please? See answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for details. I missed this before.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.